163

Hey guys! I'm pretty excited for this chapter!! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! I look forward to reading your comments!

Happy Reading!

<><><><><>

Jo

Dwight and Simon each took an arm and led me through the narrow twisting hallways. The  power for The Sanctuary must have been out which made it even more difficult to tell where we were heading. A woman led the way with a flashlight once we reached a set of stairs and went down. She kept throwing nervous glances over her shoulder at me. It looked like my reputation proceeded me. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing in this place or a bad thing.

I worked to try and remember every turn, but the truth was it was dark and my head was spinning with the too quick movements so soon after a concussion. We were in the basement, I knew that much. It smelled musky down here, like damp and walkers and death.

We passed a man who was mopping, which seemed odd given what was happening outside, but he only nodded respectfully to the two men dragging me and kept on with his work. The smell of cleaning supplies burned my nose and I sneezed. It had been a long time since I smelled ammonia, and yet somehow it didn't seem to be able to fully cover up the scent of death.

"Don't worry, we've got a special room just for you hellcat," Simon said chuckling cruelly.

On my other arm Dwight was silent.

"It's the same room your hubby got when he was here. Yep, it was where he received all that special treatment Negan had D dish out. He been acting okay? Hasn't scared ya has he?" Simon feigned concern and it was all I could do to keep myself from attacking him.

Dwight's hand tightened on my arm and I couldn't tell if it was meant to be a warning or reassuring. He wasn't exactly a friend, but he was the closet thing I had to an ally in this place. I only hoped Daryl was wrong about him.

The hallway was lined with doors and they practically dragged me to the one at the end. They shoved it open and in the flickering light of the flashlight I saw the room. It was a ten by ten reinforced closet. Nothing but cinderblock and pipe  with the occasional splash of what I assumed was blood on the wall.

It was a cell.

Suddenly, it didn't matter who was friend or foe. They were trying to put me in a cell.

My breath caught and I made a strangled noise in the back of my throat that sounded vaguely animalistic. I started thrashing in their grip and the woman screeched. My heartbeat thundered in my ears so loudly I couldn't hear what they were yelling at one another.

I kicked out at both of them, aiming for their knees, groins, insteps, shins...I didn't care. I had to get away. I couldn't go back. I couldn't let myself be put back in a cell. I slammed my elbow into something soft and someone swore loud enough for me to hear above my fighting.

Then something cracked against my skull and I fell. When my head hit the wall everything went dark.

<><><><><>

Jo

"Jo?" someone was saying my name and flashing a light in my eyes. As I regained full consciousness I jerked back from them. I skittered away on all fours until my back hit a wall. Then I rocked forward into a crouch so I was ready to fight, ready to attack.