122

Hey guys! See, I promised you wouldn't have to wait too long! Buckle up, it's a LONG update. I would have to look, but I'm pretty sure it's the longest or really close, coming in at over 7,200 words. I tried to edit it down or cut it in half, but couldn't find anything I could bear getting rid of and didn't want to mess with the flow. I hope you enjoy! 

<><><><><>

Jo

When Negan and Rick took off at a brisk walk in the direction of the gun shot he left Daryl, Arat and I behind. As soon as Negan turned away Daryl lifted his eyes and met mine. I could see the rage swirling in them. He glanced at Arat, but Gabriel had stepped up to her and was distracting her. Being left here with the three of us was making her uncomfortable. She wasn't used to being outnumbered and didn't know how to position herself to maintain the upper hand. Instead, when Gabriel stepped up into her space she turned her whole focus onto him since he was the closest. It was a rookie mistake. Always keep you eye on the most dangerous person in the room. And that wasn't Gabriel.

Daryl cut his eyes back to me and he shook his head firmly he didn't want me to accept Negan's offer.

I scowled at him. He wasn't thinking clearly. I turned to trail behind Negan and Rick. Daryl followed. Once we were a few dozen yards away Daryl glanced back. Arat's back was turned and she was still distracted by Gabriel. She was too used to everyone doing exactly what The Saviors wanted. She just assumed we were following suite. We weren't. Daryl jumped forward and grabbed my arm, jerking me roughly around the corner between two of the large bushes that provided cover. We were out of sight unless someone came around the corner and looked directly to their left.

I almost choked over the emotions that were running through me. I was shaking from the physical act of holding myself back and all of the other incredibly intense emotions that I didn't have a name for. But when I looked up into his face he was more angry than I had ever seen him.

"What the hell do ya think you're do'in?" he demanded angrily.

I hesitated and tried to take a step back away from his rage. I pulled back but his hand was locked around my upper arm in a bruising grip. I had never once felt uncertain of Daryl before, but I had never seen him like this. There was rage and an undercurrent of desperation. 

I opened my mouth to respond to his angry words, but he cut me off, shaking his head.

"Ya ain't got any idea," he glanced over his shoulder to make sure no one was coming. This close I could see the bags under his eyes and how sallow his skin looked. He wasn't sleeping and he looked like he hadn't been eating well either. Up close I could see the extensive bruising as well.

I swallowed thickly. "Daryl I'm-I'm just trying-" I stammered.

"Well don't," he snarled and it felt like he slapped me. He gave my are a rough jerk. "Stay as far away from these assholes as ya can. Do ya understand? All it will do is land ya in the cell next to me. And they'll use ya against me even more than they already are."

There was movement behind us and rather than looking to check who it was, Daryl dropped my arm and stormed away. As soon as he was out in the open he dropped his eyes to the ground and hunched his shoulders forward.

Arat appeared moments later, walking past where I was standing. She didn't even notice me. She wouldn't have found us here.

I stood there swaying softly, feeling like I had been cut adrift. I closed my eyes and let out a shuddering breath as tears burned the backs of my eyes. I didn't know how to help him. I felt as powerless as I used to locked up in that cell, only this was worse. So much worse.