19

Daryl

Despite Michonne and Rick returning I was still on edge. I caught myself pacing around the common area before anyone else said anything. The group was gathered around Rick, Carl and Michonne, anxiously listening to the story of their trip.

I hadn't seen her for a few hours. Not that it mattered, she hadn't left the prison, I made sure of that. But she was hiding somewhere. Beth knew where, I was just finishing up my meal when she slipped outside with an extra plate. She was gone for a while and seemed pretty pleased with herself when she came back.

It wasn't my night to keep watch and Rick was back so she wasn't my responsibility anymore. Only Merle was. And he was sitting on his cot pleasant as could be when Rick returned. I started pacing another line before I realized it and Carol reached out and caught my arm. She frowned at me, asking what was wrong. I gently pulled my arm away and shook my head. I turned around and stalked back towards the cell block.

I was laying on my mattress staring up at the ceiling when I heard the outside door open. There was no greeting called so I assumed it was Jo. Glenn would still be on watch for another couple hours. Even from here, above the quiet buzz of the group I could hear her washing her dishes. The quiet clank of the plate and silverware against the side of the large tin basin echoed through the cell block. Then nothing. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on the sounds I was hearing. She had been right, she wasn't my business, wasn't my problem. I did my part. I owed her and I got her out and brought her back here. My debt was repaid. I didn't need to feel guilty anymore, I didn't need to feel anything.

I was surprised when I heard the quiet tread on the metal stairs. It wasn't Carol, she wasn't able to move that quietly. The footsteps continued passed my cell and I couldn't resist opening my eyes. She didn't look my way as she walked passed with her nearly empty backpack slung over her shoulder. I hadn't expected her to stay in the cell block so soon.

Beth came padding up the stairs a short time later with an arm load of clothes. She gave me a small smile as she passed my cell on her way down to Jo. She returned a short time later empty handed and humming softly to herself.

"Beth," I called in a quiet voice.

She looked startled but paused, leaning her head into my cell. I licked my lips and jerked my head back down the cell block towards Jo's cell. "Thanks."

Beth frowned at me and nodded slowly as she worked out what exactly I was thanking her for. When I didn't say anything more she continued on her way looking even more confused. To be honest I didn't know what I was thanking her for either. I shook my head and closed my eyes.

<><><><><>

Jo

I tossed and turned in the cell for hours. The door was wide open and I didn't feel like I was having a panic attack but I couldn't settle. I was still worked up from the day and no matter what I tried I couldn't quiet my mind. I knew everyone was sleeping and every time I rolled over the bed squeaked. Finally giving up I pulled my boots on and padded quietly out of my cell.

I glanced down the cat walk towards the stairs and was almost positive I stood no chance of slipping by Daryl without waking him. The catwalk was only eight feet high. I swung myself over and lowered myself down until I was dangling from the catwalk by my fingers. It was a little less than a three foot drop and I landed almost silently on the balls of my feet. The cell block door was open and so the only remaining obstacle was opening the main door. But it was fairly silent and I went slow, glancing at Merle's sleeping form. He was by far the closest and when he didn't wake I knew I was home free.