134

<><><><><>

Jo

"A little constitutional outside the wall, just you and me sweetheart," Negan said in a jovial voice as he swung his bat up over his shoulder.

I went cold at his words. I didn't want to be alone with him and I certainly didn't want to leave Alexandria for any reason. I didn't want him getting any ideas.

He must have read something on my face because he chuckled menacingly. "Oh come on now sweetheart, you ain't scared are you?" His smirk was predatory and without realizing it one of my hands had dropped to the knife on my belt.

"Ah, ah, ah," Negan said in a warning voice, wagging his finger at me. "Simon!" He called loudly over his shoulder.

I frowned and looked around, I hadn't realized anyone had been close to us. It bothered me to know that Negan had distracted me so much. I was normally better at paying attention to my surroundings and certainly better at knowing where my enemies were.

Suddenly, Simon walked around into view. In front of him was Carl, with Simon's gun pointed at his head. Negan looked at them, a pleased smile on his face and then he turned back to look at me.

"Shall we?" he asked.

I swallowed and nodded. It was stupid of me to think that just because he didn't have Daryl any more meant he wouldn't find someone else to use against me. It's what made his tactics so effective. We could always be controlled as long as there were still people we cared for. I regarded Negan carefully, wondering for a brief moment if there was someone he cared for. Some way for us to get the upper hand.

"Now let's go," he instructed, interrupting my thoughts. He held his hand out dramatically for me to lead the way to the gate. Not seeing another option I complied, leading the way down the street. Negan followed just behind me, whistling as he walked. The tune wasn't one I was familiar with, but it was obnoxious and set my teeth on edge. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was playing right into his hand, doing exactly what he wanted. I hated it.

When we got to the gate Rick met us. He looked back and forth from Negan to me to where Simon followed us with Carl. His eyes narrowed, zeroing in on Simon's gun pointing at his son. "What's going on?" he asked his shoulders tight with tension.

Negan was practically preening in front of Rick. He enjoyed parading his control especially with Rick. It was a dangerous game to play. One day someone was going to snap. Watching the fire in Rick's eyes I wondered if he would beat me to it.

"My hot friend and I are going for a little walk. No worries, my men will continue their search," Negan chuckled. "Wouldn't want you to think I was distracted from the real reason we're here."

Rick stepped forward aggressively putting his shoulder between me and Negan.

"Jo isn't going anywhere," Rick growled. "She hasn't done anything. Daryl isn't here."

Negan rolled his head to the side so he was starring Rick full in the face. "I believe you," he said and then he flashed a dangerous smile. "But my buddy Simon over there," Negan said gesturing over his shoulder. "Simon says Jo is going with me and there's nothing you are going to do to stop it. Not while Ol' Simon's got a gun to your boys head."

Rick froze when he saw Simon press the gun more firmly against Carl's scalp. Carl grimaced and glared at Simon, refusing to let the other men see any fear. Rick pressed his lips together grimly, looking back and forth from Carl to me. He was torn between wanting to help me, and knowing he couldn't risk his son. I caught his eye and gave him an encouraging smile. I understood.