159

<><><><><>

Daryl

I didn't want to admit it, but Rick was right. We had a job to do. Our entire plan hinged on us hitting the office building and getting those guns. Too many lives were dependent on us. And as much as I hated to think about her being out there by herself or worse, with Gabriel to protect, she was the best equipped for it. I was just sick of Rick using that as a way to justify it to himself when he chose to leave her behind.

We took out the guards at the front doors. Rick led the way and I was right over his shoulder. Three men from Hilltop filled in for Jo. They each had an assault rifle and I still didn't feel like it was enough to cover what Jo woulda done. We swept our way to the staircase and Rick turned to the men behind us. My shoulders itched having them behind me, but I reminded myself we were on the same team.

"You signal if they're already inside." Rick instructed. "We'll come running." He promised.

The men looked nervous but nodded. Jo wouldn't have been nervous. I would have trusted her to clear the main floor without us needing to babysit. Babysitting took time. I would have trusted her to watch our backs. I cracked my neck. I couldn't shake the anxiety building in my chest. She was out there and it was making it tough for me to focus in here.

"Come on," I barked. "Let's find them guns and get outta here." I growled impatiently. Rick glanced at me warily but nodded.

I could hear the muffled gunfire from our people buying us time around the backside of the building. We needed to find their armory and fast. Rick and I split up and swept the rest of the floor. I couldn't find anything. Impatience kept me moving fast. I prowled down the hall towards the bank of elevators.

Rick was there, looking down at a crumpled sheet of paper Dwight had given him. 

I was close enough to read the words before I spoke. "It ain't on this floor."

Rick flinched and whirled, he hadn't heard me come up behind him and he looked annoyed I had been able to startle him. He shifted his weight uncomfortably and shoved the paper back into his pocket. "The only option's up."

"High ground, good cover." I agreed nodding. I was done talking we needed to get this done.

"Yeah, I'd put them up there too," he agreed.

"Stairs," I said pointing and I tried to kick the door open.

It was a fire door and it wouldn't budge no matter how many times I kicked it. I raised my gun to shoot off the lock. 

Rick stepped forward and shoved the gun down. "They'll hear," he growled. "If they know we're inside-"

I jerked my chin down to show I understood. I showed the gun into the back of my belt and jerked my chin towards the elevator doors. "Ya any good at climbing?" 

We climbed up the elevator shaft floor by floor, sweeping each one as we went. Each floor looked as deserted as the last. Rage rolled through me. That prick Dwight had sent us on a wild goose chase. 

I did a pull up to the next floor. Behind me Rick glanced down the elevator shaft, five stories down. He pinched his eyes shut and shook his head. "Ya scared a heights or something?" I asked fighting to get a grip on the doors. 

"Just keep moving," Rick growled and I could hear it in his voice that he was.

I snorted and pulled the doors open. I tossed my crossbow ahead of me and pulled myself up the rest of the way. Once up I reached back down to give Rick a hand. I planted my feet and jerked him up over the edge.