164

Hi Everyone! I hope you enjoy the update! Somehow this ended up being the longest update I have ever put out. So settle in!

Happy Reading!

<><><><><>

Jo

My hands were tied so tightly behind me I wasn't able to maneuver them around in front. It was a vulnerable position and it made all the dark places in the back of my head fight for control. Being stuck in the dark, unable to defend myself made my heart thunder in my ears and my breathing kicked up.

I tried to get my legs through so I would at least be able to defend myself even if my hands were still tied. It felt like I was about to rip my shoulders out of their sockets. The pain kept me going, kept me able to think beyond the feeling of being restrained. I twisted my wrists and pulled as hard as I could but the zip ties wouldn't yield.

After an hour of thrashing I laid down on the floor panting, completely exhausted. Exhausting myself was a dangerous thing to do, but I honestly wouldn't have been able to rest any other way. Just like back in that cell.

I laid on my side, my cheek pressed against the cool concrete floor as I worked to regain control of my breathing. I counted my breaths until I finally fell asleep.

I slept hard, too hard. The exhaustion trapped me in my nightmares. Waking with my arms restrained made panic stop my breath in my throat. I fought to catch my breath but it was like my chest weighed a thousand pounds and I wasn't strong enough to push it up for the next breath. My heart thundered in my ears as a weak, choked sound came from my throat.

I sat up but it was so dark I couldn't see anything. I didn't know where the walls were or what was around me. There was no light coming from under the door even. I shivered. My skin was damp with sweat and it was colder now than it had been earlier.

I shivered again and frowned into the darkness. Something had woken me. I heard a noise in the dark. The quiet scrape of a key. I forced my legs to move and struggled up to my feet with no hands. My legs and thighs were burning from the sets I had manically forced myself through. I wasn't in shape the way I used to be. My body had grown soft. Complacent.

The lock clicked and the door opened slowly. Someone slid a small lantern across the floor and into the room. I blinked painfully in the light. Spots danced around the edges of my vision, but I forced my eyes to remain open so I was ready for whatever happened next.

Several agonizing seconds dragged by and there was nothing. No one. Whoever was there was giving me a chance to adapt to the light. It was...polite. The thought felt strange, like it didn't belong in this place. This was a place of violence and blood. I had figured that out right away. The only person I had in here was Doctor Carson, but he had already seen me. This felt different. 

The door slowly opened and I blinked away the light flashing at the edges of my vision to see Dwight in the doorway. He met my gaze for a moment and held it. When I didn't move right away he glanced over his shoulder nervously. He bit his lip uncertainly and finally stepped in and closed the door. 

It was brave of him.

I don't now if he realized how brave. He may have helped the group and betrayed Negan, but this man was not my friend. He was my enemy. I knew that with every primal piece of my soul. He had hurt Daryl, tortured him, tried to break him. I closed my hands into fists and pulled against the zip ties once more. Something slick and warm was coating my fingers, but with an enemy close and me so vulnerable it didn't matter.