69

Okay guys here we go, the second update of the night in honor of the 6k milestone! I hope you guys are happy with this one! Please comment/vote! I love hearing from you!

<><><><><>

Daryl

I woke up before anyone else. When I looked around I saw Jo sleeping only inches from me. Her face was drawn and tight, even in sleep. She had always been skinny but now she was starting to look gaunt. She needed water and more food. I felt that when I picked her up yesterday. She was so light, but she felt so alive in my arms. I had decided to stay away from her, but I was doing about as good at that as I was everything else these days. 

I sat up and stretched, my back aching from sleeping on the pavement. I wouldn't have chosen to sleep on the road but last night I wanted to stick close to her. Our run in with the dogs had me starting to worry about more things than just Walkers.

She had slept without a blanket or jacket covering her and her t-shirt was pulled up exposing a generous bit of skin at her waist. She wasn't black and blue anymore but I knew she was still hurting. Probably worse than she realized. I saw her get into trouble with that walker the day before. She had kicked up at it like there was nothing wrong and it had dropped her to the pavement. If she didn't start accounting for her injuries she was going to get herself killed. 

I sucked in a breath and climbed roughly to my feet as that thought went over me. I paced away from the group. I needed to get a hold of myself. My emotions were all over the place. I couldn't control the grief over losing Beth and the guilt. The guilt of not being able to save Beth, of not being able to keep Jo safe, and now I was failing to take care of her. I was failing to take care of everybody. This was what I did. I found food and water and took care of the group. I paced another line and when I turned back I saw Rick was up and watching me. He came over to me, moving quietly in the predawn light so he didn't wake anyone else.

"We need to keep moving," I growled when he was close enough for me to talk quietly to him.

He nodded. "We don't have much longer without water. People are getting weak."

My eyes dropped involuntarily back to Jo's sleeping form.

Rick put a hand on my shoulder. "Hey," he said, though he didn't speak until I looked at him. "We'll get through this, together." He said resolutely.

I turned away from him and paced again as fear and anger threatened to beat me down. I ran a hand over the back of my neck.

"You didn't fail her," Rick said quietly.

I turned to glare at him. It was like he was reading my mind.

"You didn't. What happened to Beth happened. It wasn't your fault, it wasn't anybody's fault.  And Jo's still here. She doesn't think you're responsible. None of us do, but brother you gotta forgive yourself." He gave me a grim smile and patted me on the back before turning towards the sunrise. The sky was painted red in the coming dawn. Rick chuckled once. "Red sky in the morning..." he started to say and shook his head.

"Imma go look for water while you get everyone moving," I called to him.

He waved me off as though he expected it.

I bent down to pick up my crossbow and looked back at Jo. I leaned over and brushed some of her hair aside before kissing her gently on the forehead. She hummed in the back of her throat but she didn't wake. I straightened and moved off into the woods.

There was nothing to find, I knew there was nothing to find, but I couldn't bring myself to give up. I stomped through the dry underbrush making enough noise that it didn't matter if there were any animals to hunt, they would hear me coming a mile away. I wasn't very far in when I spotted a clearing up ahead. I pushed my way through to it, praying it was a lake or pond of some kind. When I saw the old barn I dropped down onto the ground in defeat. We couldn't catch a break. I leaned back against a tree and reached into my pocket. I had a handful of crushed cigarettes and my lighter. My hands shook as I lit the first one.