109

Hey guys! We just reached 40K reads. I am blown away. You guys are so amazing!!! Thank you so much for the continued support. I could not have done it without you all!

I hope you enjoy the update!!

Please comment/vote!!!

<><><><><>

Jo

We waited in the library in tense silence. A few moments later the door reopened and Jesus stuck his head in. "The doctor is finished with Gregory and will take a look at Jo." His eyes met mine and he offered me a small smile. "He'll meet you in the room you go cleaned up in earlier."

I nodded and climbed to my feet. I grimaced again as I swallowed. I didn't think there was anything major wrong, but Jesus had been insistent that I be checked out by their doctor. I think some of it was guilt that I had been hurt protecting them from their own people. I stepped towards the door and felt Daryl's hand touch the small of my back. Apparently I was going to have company.

We passed Jesus and he smiled at me, nodding and I felt Daryl tense behind me. I rolled my eyes but only Jesus saw it and he coughed out a laugh, then fought to straighten his face. He stepped back, holding the door for us.

The doctor was waiting for us when we entered Jesus's room. He looked uncomfortable and I couldn't tell if it was because I had killed one of his friends or if it was Daryl's scowl, which deepened when he noticed the doctor's tension. I figured it was a lost cause trying to explain to Daryl that scowling at people who are already nervous was actually counter productive.

The doctor cleared his throat nervously. "Please have a seat," he said motioning to the bed.

I sat in front of him and Daryl stepped to the side, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest.

The doctor glanced once at Daryl and then looked back to me. The fear was clear in his eyes. But he took a deep, steadying breath and composed himself before my eyes. His hands were gentle as he lifted my chin and touched the tender skin of my neck. He had me open my mouth and he looked down my throat with his pocket flashlight.

"How sore is it on a scale of one to ten?" he asked, stepping back and clicking off his light.

I shrugged. "A two," I replied without hesitation.

He balked. "No, one is low and ten is debilitating pain," he corrected.

I nodded. "Yeah, I know."

Now it was his turn to frown and he leaned forward once more to stare at my neck, then he looked back up at me the question he was too polite to ask was plain on his face.

"I've experienced a lot of pain, you get used to it," I said simply.

Behind the doctor Daryl shifted restlessly. He didn't like to think about the things I had been through. I think he felt guilty for some reason. Not just because of the things that had happened recently, but also for what The Governor had done. I usually did my best to protect Daryl from my past for this very reason. None of what I had been through was his fault, and I wouldn't have him making himself feel any worse on my account.

The doctor frowned and glanced back over his shoulder at Daryl, his expression guarded.

"Daryl saved me," I said quickly, drawing the doctor's attention back to me. I would not have him suspecting Daryl of anything.