95

Hey guys, I hope you enjoy this update! 

I have never done this before but I would like to dedicate this chapter to teenwriter01 who has been DYING to know one of the answers found in this chapter. I'm sorry I made you wait so long! Thank you so much for all the support with comments and votes! It also led to a longer than normal chapter so I hope you all enjoy!!! 

Please comment/vote! 

<><><><><>

Jo

I stood on the rim of the quarry staring down at the mass of Walkers. The noise was so loud from here it would be a struggle to hear anyone speak if they weren't standing next to me. The cacophony began to bounce around in my head as brain tripped over itself as it tried to make sense of sheer volume of Walkers. I couldn't seem to process how there were so many trapped practically in our backyard. It felt like I was in shock. How could we possibly handle this many? 

Michonne stood beside me, her katana strapped across her back. "How many?" her voice was tight with fear. Her hand was back over her shoulder, touching the handle of her sword. She touched her katana the same way I did my knives, as though it's presence reassured her. 

"Thousands," Daryl's voice rasped on my other side. I glanced over at him, he had brought his crossbow around so it was resting in his hands. Little kids had stuffed animals and we all had our weapons. Rick's hand was resting on his hip, Morgan had his staff in his hand and Abraham was resting in automatic rifle over his shoulder. 

"Tens of thousands," I muttered turning back to the quarry. The whole quarry was full.

Daryl glanced over at me. There wasn't fear in his eyes but there was a hard wariness. He was mentally preparing himself to deal with this new emergency. 

Rick looked over at us. "We need to figure out what to do about this," he said firmly.

I looked over at him and Morgan who were both staring down at the quarry with grim acceptance. I wondered how long they had stood here the first time, staring down at what had the potential to be Alexandria's certain death. With a herd that size the walls would mean nothing. The inexhaustible strength of thousands of Walkers would roll over the top of us, swallow us whole and barely notice.

Right now the Walkers were contained by semi trucks someone had positioned across both exits to protect the quarry. I stepped up next to Daryl and reached into the messenger bag he had across his body. I pulled out a pair of binoculars and studied the semi's at the entrances. 

"That one at the east entrance up on the hill doesn't look very stable,"  I commented. "Wouldn't take much for it to fall." I moved to the west entrance. The semi trailers were parked close but one walker at a time could squeeze out of the space. It was tight though, and took some wiggling. I wrinkled my nose as I saw how mangled the Walker was once it worked it's way though the small space. 

"Any ideas?" Rick asked impatiently. 

"Napalm?" I suggested joking half-heartedly. I handed the binoculars over to Daryl so he could have a closer look at what we were dealing with. 

Rick nodded and ran a hand over his face.

"Even if someone stood down there and killed them one at a time as they come through it would take months to kill them all..." I said thoughtfully. "Twenty-four hour rotation..." I dragged off thoughtfully and just started to shake my head. "We can't kill them all," I finally said.