61

Two updates in one day! I was going to wait to put this one out tomorrow but I was too excited. 

I hope you enjoy this one! Please comment/vote!

<><><><><>

Jo

It felt like we were falling forever. The quiet and the feeling of weightlessness was almost peaceful. The sky outside the windshield was a perfect, cloudless blue. I squeezed Daryl's hand again, feeling the strength and warmth of his grip. The last thing I heard before impact was Daryl calling my name. 

I blacked out on impact. I couldn't have been out more than a minute. When I blinked awake Daryl was stirring beside me. He pulled his knife and stabbed the airbags in front of both of us. Above the pounding in my head  my chest and shoulder hurt from the airbags and the seat belt.

I looked over at him and met his blue, blue eyes. "We're okay," I whispered. Everything felt far away, like I was underwater. 

Daryl reached over and cupped my cheek, turning my head gently. He didn't look away, only nodded. "Yeah."

Then the bodies started raining down on the top of the van. I grimaced as the bodies liquified on impact. Rotting blood and entrails splashed up against the cracked windshield. I tried to open my door but it was stuck. Daryl opened his and reached across for me. His strong hands gripped my ribcage as he helped me across the seat. I groaned in pain but bit my lip and didn't say anything. We needed to get out of here. 

I collapsed when my feet hit the ground. My legs were too shaky to support my weight. He caught me with an arm around my waist. I sagged against him, thankful to be out of the van. He pulled me against him, to steady us both. I exhaled and nodded, I wanted him to know I was alright, but my head was swimming and my chest felt tight as I drew in a deep breath. 

He leaned me against the van and reached back inside to pull out our gear. He shouldered all of it, then put my arm across his shoulder and wrapped one of his around my waist. I wanted to walk on my own, but my body hurt so badly and I was so exhausted. I leaned into him, letting his strength and his warmth soothe me.

He led us away from the van and that bridge and into an empty alley. He set me down on some stairs. He dropped our gear beside me and dug out his water bottle. He held it out to me.

I waved him off. "I'm fine," I promised, though I was still fighting to catch my breath. I shifted, trying to ease the pain in my ribs. If I sat straight up they were okay. 

He shook his head and obviously didn't buy it, "prove it."

I looked up at him. I recognized the worried, determined look in his eye and I took the water. He stepped back but watched me closely. As I drank I watched the small, impatient movements of his fingers. He was really worried.

"How bad is it?" He finally asked sighing.

"I've had worse," I promised him. I pulled my shirt to the side so he could see what i was certain was horrific bruising along my shoulder and collar bone. He stepped forward and gently pushed it aside a little further so he could get a better look. I flinched as his warm fingers brushed against my sensitive skin. If he noticed he didn't say anything. Instead he covered my hand that was holding my shirt open with his and guided it back so I was covered.

"That was stupid," he said shaking his head. I could already tell he was going to beat himself up over this.

I shrugged. "We made good time down," I quipped trying to ease some of the tension.