16

Jo

That afternoon, in order to fight off exhaustion, I was doing pull ups off the bars on my cage. Michonne came out into the mess area and began running through an exercise routine of her own. I paused to watch hers, wondering how hers would differ and if there was any advantage to be gained.

Merle sauntered up to her, perching himself on a table nearby. I pulled myself up and held there, watching them closely. I gathered there was some kind of history but no one had said anything to me about it. Carol was working in the corner near the make shift stove and she also stilled, her eyes narrowing at Merle.

"Smart to stay fit. Don't leave out the cardio." Michonne gave no indication she heard him. She was doing some kind of sequence that reminded me of Pilates but I couldn't be sure. Maybe it had some root in martial arts? I lowered myself to the floor and let my arms rest.

Merle continued, apparently not needing any encouragement. "You know if we are going to live under the same roof, we should clear the air. This whole hunting you down thing," he said gesturing around himself with his good hand, "that was just business. Just carrying out orders."

I pulled myself back up again and began counting backwards from sixty.

Michonne paused and met his gaze. "Hmm, like the gestapo." She was ice cold. No matter how I tried to turn it around in my head Michonne was absolutely a threat. I sort of admired that about her but I wasn't the only one who was wary around her.

Merle smiled. "Exactly. Done a lot of things I ain't proud of. Before and after. Anyway, hope we can get passed it. Let bygones be bygones." 

I lowered myself to the floor again counted off a minute and pulled myself back up. Michonne finally nodded, but her face remained impassive. Merle was working hard to make the rounds and mend fences but I was pretty positive he wasnt fooling Michonne. And when I looked over at Carol I was positive he wasn't fooling her.

I was on my twentieth rep when the main door was flung open. Carl came pounding in. "It's Andrea!" he gasped. "Andrea's here." 

Everyone froze for a moment, their eyes flitting to Rick. He stood and ran to his cell, pulling out his rifle. "Everyone to their places." He ordered.

I lowered myself to my feet, uncertain what I should do. I didn't have a place. My heart was pounding in my ears as the adrenaline began to flow and my world focused. There was a chance The Governor was using this to distract us. There was a chance we were about to be attacked. There was a chance he was here. There was a chance-

Daryl came out of the cell block, his crossbow loaded and over his shoulder. He tossed a shotgun to Merle. Who caught it easily, checked to make sure it was loaded and headed towards the door. Daryl paused as he passed me. He stooped a little so he was looking me square in the eyes. He narrowed his at me until I glared back. He nodded and slapped his knife in my hand again and before I could react he grabbed the front of my belt, jerking me forward a step and shoved his handgun into it.

"Watch our backs," he ordered. "Stay back with Michonne." He grunted and looked like he wanted to say something else. I arched a brow, encouraging him to get on with it. "If it's too much-" he started to say but I cut him off.

"I'll be fine," I promised, tucking his knife into my belt. I wouldn't let them down, not after they took a chance on me.