133

<><><><><>

Jo

The sound of the gates closing behind us, separating me and Daryl once more felt strangely final. He wan't ready to be on his own, and I didn't like the idea of leaving him with strangers. But I couldn't argue with Rick's logic. We couldn't risk bringing him back until after The Savior's came looking for him. I had absolutely no doubt I would be Negan's first stop in his search for Daryl. Negan's ego wouldn't allow him to just let Daryl go, especially when he knew the threat against Daryl had been the only thing keeping our group in line.

I climbed into the cargo area of the SUV with Sasha and Tara and stared silently out the window. I couldn't chat about our next move and act like I was completely on board with Rick's decision. I couldn't pretend I wasn't worried about Daryl. Part of me just wanted to say screw it, go back and get Daryl and just disappear. He and I could survive just the two of us and we could leave all of the behind. But when I looked at Rick, Michonne, and Carl, hell even Tara, Sasha, and Rosita, they were my family. They were our family and neither Daryl nor I would ever be able to go through with turning our backs on them.

I swallowed thickly as I peered out of the dirt crusted windows. If I was being totally honest with myself I was terrified of what would happen when they came looking for Daryl. I couldn't imagine what Negan's reaction would be when he realized his favorite toy was missing. I wondered if he would risk facing me himself if he didn't have his piece of leverage that kept him safe.

"Jo?" I jerked out of my thoughts to see Jesus looking over the back of the seat at me, concern etched on his face. "You okay?" he asked cautiously.

"Yeah, of course," I replied too quickly.

Jesus lifted his eyebrows and nodded slowly, lowering his eyes to where my hand had subconsciously dropped to the throwing knives strapped to my thigh. I was running my fingers over their smooth handles. I followed his gaze to my hand and then looked back up at his carefully controlled face.

"Ezekiel will keep his word and protect Daryl. He will be safe there until you can go back for him," Jesus promised me in a maddeningly reassuring voice. He didn't know that. He had now way of guaranteeing that and shit always went south when Daryl and I separated.

Something must have showed on my face because Jesus pressed his lips into a hard line and shifted so he was able to face me easier. "Look, I know it's disappointing he didn't help and he seems a little-"

"Crazy?" Carl pipped up from the other side of the car.

Jesus frowned at Carl in annoyance but turned back to me with a sigh. "Yeah...but he takes his honor very seriously. Daryl will be safe there."

I just nodded but didn't take my fingers off of my knives. I just wanted to get home and deal with Negan as quickly as possible. Then the others could come up with a plan B, while I went back for Daryl. I turned back to look out the window, making it clear I didn't want to talk any more.

Jesus sighed again and moved to turn back to face the front. Everyone else was silent and uncomfortable. I knew if I started talking I could set everyone at ease, but I just didn't have it in me. Not now. I needed to think. I needed to figure out how I was going to deal with Negan. Jesus shifted again and I looked up to see him holding out the long range walkie.

"You're the one that's going to need to be back there for sure," he said by way of explanation. "You should keep it on you. In case we get separated."

I nodded and took it, securing the clip to my belt.

We rode in silence for nearly an hour before the walkie chirped with static. I left it on my hip as reports came in about Daryl's disappearance. Dwight's voice was hard with authority at first, but as the primary search became fruitless it became tight with fear. I couldn't help the predatory smile the pulled across my face. Someone was going to hang for this, I hoped it was that bastard. I pulled one of my knives and rolled it through my hands to pass the time.