146

<><><><><>

Jo

The next morning we were loading guns into the van. Well, the others were loading I was sitting on the steps, cleaning the few Rick had set aside. He and Michonne had found a huge supply of guns and food at a military camp they had stumbled upon. Now, we were getting ready to bring the guns to the garbage people.

When the last of the guns were loaded and ready Rick and Daryl walked over to where I was sitting.

"Well?" Rick asked.

I jerked my chin towards the guns I had cleaned and oiled. "They look fine, you guys hit the jackpot with these," I said appreciatively. Though I couldn't help the small twinge of disappointment that Daryl and I wouldn't be going out on a run together. With this many guns there was no reason. We had our payment for the garbage people, as soon as we delivered the wheels would start turning.

Rick nodded, rubbing the back of his knuckles along his cheek. "Good, we'll need a show of force when we go..." he dragged off.

I nodded agreeing with him. The garbage people needed to believe we were strong. They were scavengers and would take advantage if they thought they could. "We need everyone we can spare," I said. "Gabriel, Tara, Michonne, Daryl, me..." I ran a hand through my hair. There were only so many people we could spare, only so many people we could bring into a situation like we were facing. The garbage people couldn't see any weakness. And if it came to a fight, we couldn't afford to bring anyone in we would have to protect. "Aaron...Erich..." I looked over at Carl who was inspecting one of the guns I had oiled. "Carl should come to," I said, knowing Rick might not agree. But Carl was one of our strongest fighters and we couldn't ignore that. He wasn't a kid anymore.

Rick glanced from me to Carl, then sighed. He nodded. "Yeah...Carl should come."

Carl smiled triumphantly, looking from me to his dad. "I'll go round everyone up," Carl offered and he trotted off.

Rick nodded. "We leave in an hour," he called after Carl. Carl waved over his shoulder but didn't slow, as though he were worried his dad would change his mind.

I stood and stretched. There was a twinge in my ribs, but it wasn't as bad as they had been before. I twisted slowly, experimenting with my range of motion. It wasn't much, but knowing what I was capable of without hurting myself further was a good place to start. I didn't feel as weak as I had before either, being out and doing things helped.

"Jo-" Rick started to say, moving a step towards me. He paused at the look on my face and glanced over his shoulder at Daryl.

Daryl was standing about five feet away with his arms crossed over his chest. His face was completely shuttered. I knew exactly what Rick was going to say, and I didn't feel like having this fight again. After our talk yesterday Daryl and I were in a good place. I did't want Rick to ruin that.

"I'm going," I told Rick simply, my tone making it clear this was not a discussion we were going to have.

"You're hurt," Rick said, shifting his weight uncomfortably. He glanced back and forth between Daryl and I like he was waiting for Daryl to jump in and back him up, but Daryl still didn't say anything. Smart man.

"Yeah well, they don't know that," I said with a casual shrug.

Rick looked at me in disbelief. "That's a terrible excuse!" he exclaimed.

Daryl snorted behind us. I glanced at him over Rick's shoulder. His eyes were glittering with amusement. I couldn't decide if he was amused by our interaction, or maybe it was because someone else was stuck fighting with me for a change.