173

So...I've been super busy lately in my real (non-wattpad) life and just wanted to say I really appreciate all of you who have patiently stuck with me with the slow updates. I haven't abandoned any of my stories, I just have limited time to write right now and unfortunately four active stories is a little much. But...It's your lucky day! With record low temps here (-51 windchill was our daytime high) I'm stuck at home, and you guys get an unscheduled update!

Happy Reading!

<><><><><>

Jo

I woke up to the sound of a baby crying. As soon as she whimpered my eyes snapped open. For a moment I was completely disorientated. My over-tired mind convinced I was back at home before all of this happened with Micheal sleeping safely in the next room. I stared up at the ceiling above me for a long moment before I remembered where I was.

With three communities all crammed together all anyone could hope for was a decent spot on the floor. They had opened all the windows and doors in the old house but it was still stuffy and sweat beaded on my skin. Daryl had tried to convince me to sleep out in the yard instead of on the smooth hard wood of the hall, but I felt better being closer to the girls. Being surrounded by so many strangers made me a little uneasy. Daryl and I had chosen the far end of the hall away from the group. Only Enid and Rosita had chosen to sleep near us.

Daryl was fast sleep beside me, his arms wrapped tightly around me as he snored softly. It had been so long since we were able to sleep like this. I wanted to stay snuggled in the circle and safety of his arms, but Grace whimpered again. Years of being a mom were hard to shake. When someone didn't immediately shush her I climbed stiffly to my feet.

I pushed open the nursery door. A breeze blew through the open window and I shivered as the cool air touched my sweaty skin. Tara was sleeping on the bed in the corner. She had helped around the community earlier in the day, but she was still injured and I didn't blame her for not waking up.

Judith was still asleep in her crib, but Grace had pulled herself up by her bars and was looking up at me with tears streaming down her cheeks. I moved as quietly as possible so I wouldn't wake either Judith or Tara.

"Hey Grace," I whispered in a sweet voice as I lifted her out of the crib.

Her diaper was wet. I found the supplies beneath a makeshift changing table and she quieted once I changed her. I picked her back up and she wrapped her small arms around my neck. My throat tightened as she snuggled trustingly in my arms. I missed my son every day, but I hadn't realized until that very moment how much I fundamentally missed being a mom.

She shifted a few times and I realized my shoulder rig was getting in the way of her being comfortable. I set her back on the changing table and slipped out of it. Setting it, the knives and guns down on a side table before I scooped the little girl back up in my arms. I rocked instinctively as I held her cradled in my arms and the tension faded from her small body as she began to fall back asleep. Grace fell asleep quickly but I was hesitant to put her down

A peace I hadn't felt for so long settled around me as I stood in the dark room rocking the infant. It had been a long time since I felt this kind of quiet in my head. The peace of holding a sleep child who was so trusting in my arms was indescribable. Tears pricked my eyes and I knew, knew that when this was over. If no one else had, Daryl and I would take Grace. We would raise her together and keep her safe in this world.

I closed my eyes as I realized the feeling, the quiet...it was hope.

Grace represented hope for the future. For the first time maybe ever I truly had something to look forward to, something to do other than fight. This is what Carl had meant. I thought I understood his letter, but I realized I hadn't until this very moment, holding Grace in my arms.