52

4,000 Reads!!!! Wow guys, thank you so much for your continued support. I really appreciate you taking the time to read and I hope you continue to enjoy Jo and Daryl's story. So since we reached another major milestone keep your eyes open for a second update today!!!!!

Please Vote/Comment

<><><><><>

Daryl

The others quickly explained they had been in the train car a full day and night. They were taken out one at a time twice a day to use the bathroom and eat.

I glanced around at them and thought back to those screams we heard from the shipping containers. "Don't make sense, keeping prisoners..." I said, shaking my head.

Jo cleared her throat quietly beside me. I glanced down at her. "I think they are keeping stock," she muttered quietly so only Rick, the man named Abraham and I could hear.

Abraham frowned down at Jo and I tensed, not liking how he ran his eyes over her. After the night before I was feeling especially protective and I needed to get over it. Maggie said he was good people, I would believe her.

Rick shook his head, frowning. "What do you mean?"

Jo glanced at the others, but they weren't paying attention to us. They had all sat back down and were swapping stories. "Like cattle," she said quietly.

I went cold. I thought back to everything I had seen and heard since we got here. It was dumb to try to keep as dangerous of a group as we were unless you had another reason. It made sense in a twisted way.

Jo met my eyes. I nodded to show I understood what she was getting at. She didn't look scared. I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. She had been through something since the prison and she seemed somehow both harder and more fragile. I wasn't sure how she was gonna react to stuff anymore.

Rick sucked in a breath as he finally caught on to what Jo was saying. "Why the show?" He muttered almost to himself.

I snorted and my ma's words were somehow coming out of my mouth. "Catch more bees with honey than vinegar."

Rick nodded. He turned his gaze to Abraham. "How were they to you guys?"

Abraham shrugged. "They seemed nice enough, but I was ready to go. We just got here, but damn, it was time to go. When I told them about DC, a wink and a nod from the head asshole in charge they pulled their guns and it was right back to our regularly scheduled shit storm." Abraham grumbled.

"They were nicer for us, more than likely because we were going along with their charade," Jo said with certainty. "We intrigued them."

I shook my head thinking back to the way Gareth had watched her. "There was no we, you interested the head psycho."

Jo looked up at me in surprise. Then she frowned. Maybe she hadn't noticed but I sure did and once I said that Abraham looked Jo up and down once more this time with more interest. I took a half a step forward so I was closer to her. We had other things to think about, but my temper was already short and jealousy and other ugly emotions rolled through me.

Rick was nodding his head but I didn't think he was listening to us. He was staring off into space as he tried to work something out in his head. "We need weapons," he muttered quietly. He cleared his throat and turned back to the rest of the group. "We need to make weapons out of anything we have left. We also need to get some sleep. Sun's going down. Let's use what light we have left to work on weapons and then sleep when it's dark. The door's loud, I don't think there's a reason to take shifts. We'll hear them coming," he glanced over at me and I nodded my agreement. "Whatever you can come up with we need to be ready to fight hand to hand when the time comes."