39

Please vote/comment

<><><><><>
Daryl

"Tyreese," Rick called, "You down here?"

Maggie had directed us towards the tombs when we asked if she had seen Tyreese. I was surprised he wasn't in A block looking after Sasha. Made me wonder what in the hell he was doing down here.

"Rick, that you?" his voice echoed back to us from down the dark hallway.

I held onto the strap of my crossbow though I kept it slung across my body. Jo and me had cleared this part of the tombs months ago and I wasn't worried about running into any Walkers.

"You guys gotta see this," Tyreese exclaimed coming out of the dark.

Rick nodded but he was focused on why we were down there and not really paying attention to Tyreese. "Can we take a beat? There's something we need to talk about."

Tyreese shook his head. "It can wait," he snapped. "Come on," he walked off without bothering to see if we would follow.

We pulled out our flashlights and followed Tyreese on a twisting path through the tombs into one of the darkest back corners. Most of this part was all old storage and none of the group had any reason to be back here. When Jo and I cleared it, it seemed that was the case before the outbreak as well.

When Tyreese stopped and pointed to the ground in front of him I stepped forward. I lifted my flashlight as my brain tried to justify what I thought I was seeing.

"The hell?" I muttered stepping closer and crouching so I could get a better look.

"I was just looking for answers," Tyreese explained, his voice was breathy as though he couldn't believe what he was seeing. "And I found this."

I remembered finding something like this when I was a kid. One of the other boys in the neighborhood had done it, but he liked to kill cats. This one was a rabbit that was nailed to the board and cut open like someone was disecting it. Trying to figure out how it worked. That same boy liked to kill dogs too. He was one of the few who would hang out with me, cuz he wasn't afraid of my pops. Merle came back from a stint in juvie and lost it when he found out. Said the kid was a full blown psycho and I needed to stay away from him.

"Same person who killed Karen and David did this." Tyreese spoke with absolute certainty. "Remember the rats at the fence? They showed up the same day she was killed. We got a psychopath living with us." Tyreese was getting himself worked up again and his words started to tumble over each other. Though I couldn't say I thought he was wrong.

"Tyreese," Rick said in a soothing voice, trying to get the big man to listen.

"We got to find him, Rick, and I'm not gonna sleep until we do." He snapped.

Rick took a deep breath and glanced at me. He knew what I did. Carol may have killed Karen and David but there was no way she was down here in the dark dissecting animals. "Whoever did this, I don't think that's who killed Karen."

I flinched as an explosion rocked the building. Chunks of plaster and drywall rained down from the ceiling. We all froze, waiting to see if there was more. When none came I snapped into motion.

"Come on!" I yelled running for the exit.

Rick passed me as we flew through C block and came out into the court yard, I could hear Tyreese puffing behind me, but he kept up. I pulled my crossbow around into my hands as we ran. There was already a group gathered at the fence.