98

Hey guys, hope you enjoy!
Please comment/vote as you go, I love hearing from you!

<><><><><>

Jo

The air horn suddenly burst out through the trees. I froze, trying to pinpoint which way the noise was coming from. I fought the realization that it was coming from home. I tried to get my brain to come to another conclusion but there was no denying it. I whirled around to face Morgan. Our faces were matching masks of horror and confusion. The noise echoed through the trees so loudly it made me want to cover my ears.

"Is that-?" I started to ask but my voice dropped off.

Morgan nodded before I had finished.

"Coming from home," I finished in horror and without another word the two of us tore off through the woods at a dead run. All pain was forgotten. Nothing mattered but getting back home and making that noise stop. It was so loud I had no doubt it was already pulling the horde back towards us. Back towards home.

I turned my entire focus to setting one foot in front of the other. I leapt and dodged around trees and through the underbrush. Branches whipped across my face and snarled my hair but I didn't slow. I had to get home. I didn't wait for Morgan but he managed to keep up nonetheless. He ran quietly just off my shoulder, his staff in hand.

As we darted out of the woods, my brain couldn't seem to make sense of what it was seeing. A semi truck had crashed into the wall and it's horn was blaring nonstop. Without hesitating I ran for the semi truck. I jerked open the passenger door. There was a walker inside and I could hear Spencer yelling somewhere nearby. I pulled myself up into the cab. The walker wasn't able to turn itself to attack me before I slammed my kukri through it's skull. The walker collapsed in my hands and I shoved it back out the open door I had come through. I threw myself across the seat and flipped the switch for the horn. This close, the sudden silence left my ears ringing as I fought to catch my breath.

Spencer stood in the open driver's door his knife shaking in his hand. It looked as though he had been standing there for a while. At least long enough he should have taken care of the Walker himself.

"What's going on?" I demanded, my voice came out more sharply than I had intended but there was no excuse for the delay in killing the walker and turning off the horn.

Spencer looked up at me in shock as though he just realized I was there. His eyes ran over my body and he took half a step back. I knew what I looked like with my knives strapped to me and splattered with Walker gore.

Spencer's voice trembled and he wouldn't meet my eyes as he spoke. "Someone, a group, they got inside the walls. They're killing people."

"We need to get in there," I said glancing back down below me to where Morgan stood.

Morgan nodded grimly, tightening his grip on his staff.

I looked back across the seat to Spencer who still hadn't moved. "You coming?" I asked.

He flinched and his eyes suddenly met mine. I could see shame swimming in his eyes as well as something else, maybe shock.

"Hide," I commanded briskly and I turned away from him. I jumped out of the truck, landing lightly on my feet in front of Morgan.

"Your arm," Morgan said as we jogged around toward the gate.

I frowned, the gate was open, wide open, at least five feet. You didn't need to open the gate that wide for just a handful of people. I slowed as we walked through it, preparing myself in case they had set up a lookout. When no one came I jerked the gate shut behind us. It was loud, and we would hear it opening again.