162

Hi all! I'm back! My class is all done and I'm looking forward to having more time to write. I hope you enjoy the update!

Happy Reading!

<><><><><>

Daryl

"So..." Tara started to say. We had been driving in silence for a while now. Longer than I thought she could manage without talking. "Gabriel and Jo are trapped in that trailer and Rick is just okay with leaving them for two days?" She asked again. She had already asked the question five times but she still didn't seem to be able to believe it. 

I grunted in response as I tightened my fist around the steering wheel of the garbage truck. I didn't really feel like going over it again. Every time we did I just got madder. I shifted it a little roughly making the truck jerk to match my mood.

"He does realize that Jo is not actually super woman right? She just plays it on TV!" Tara exclaimed. "Even she needs food and water...after two days of no water even she won't be able to fight her way out of there, no matter how much cover we lay down." She was rambling now. Going off on another angry tangent.

There had been times when Tara had made me mad with how she treated Jo, but lately she was almost protective of her. Certainly more than Rick was. She seemed to be trying to be a good friend to Jo, something I knew wasn't the easiest. Tara grumbled about Rick's choices for another ten minutes before she settled into an angry silence.

"Wait!" she cried suddenly, slapping me in the chest as though we were walking and that would actually stop us from moving. "Stop," she ordered.

I scowled at her, but listened down shifting. The brakes squeaked as we rolled to a stop in the middle of the road.

"You hear that?" she asked.

I frowned at her and then leaned my head out of the window. Over the rumbled of the motor I could hear opera music. I craned my neck around and then looked in the rearview mirror back at the crossroads we just passed.

"Can they hear that at The Sanctuary?" she asked fearfully. 

"Not yet," I growled.  

I slammed the truck into reverse and turned down the road. The further we drove the louder the music became. We were nearing an old factory and I had a bad feeling it was one of Negan's hidden outposts. It felt like something the saviors would use.

In the middle of the road ahead of us was a pickup truck. The whole bed was filled with speakers blaring out opera music so loud it made my head hurt. 

"Hold on," I ordered Tara. And I gunned the engine, slamming my foot to the floor.

We slammed into the truck, t-boning it. The truck skidded away from the garbage truck, the music cutting off as the speakers flew out of the back of the truck. As soon as we stopped I jumped down, pulling my rifle with me. I fired through the open windows killing both people in the front seat before Tara managed to climb down out of the garbage truck.

I reached in and pulled the keys, then ripped a handful of wires out from under the dash, tossing them into the ditch. The truck wasn't going anywhere again. I turned back around and hesitated as I spotted Michonne and Rosita. Both were gasping for breath looking like they had been chasing the truck.

"Truck full of speakers, huh?" I called. "That was a Savior," I confirmed. I recognized the driver from when they kept me.

"Yeah it was," Michonne confirmed. "They were scavenging when you guys attacked the Sanctuary. They saw all the walkers around it," she reported. She leaned forward gingerly as she fought to catch her breath. She wasn't ready to be out here yet, she was still hurt. She gestured behind her towards the building. "It's a cache. They were going to try to drive the walkers away, it's why they're out here."