73

I hope you enjoy this one! Please vote/comment. You guys are the best!!!

<><><><><>

Daryl

The clock on the dash said it took six minutes to get into town. That was six minutes after someone was desperate enough to send up a flare and risk bringing a whole town full of Walkers down on their head. I wanted to jump out of the RV as soon as Abraham slowed it but that wasn't the way to get this done. Without Rick here I was in charge and I needed to take care of the group. Rick was depending on me to take care of his family. We needed to make sure the vulnerable members of the group were taken care of before going off into the night. 

I tapped Abraham's shoulder twice to get him to stop. He parked the RV in the middle of main street. I leaned forward, looking out the windshield, but I didn't see a single walker. Not a good sign. This wasn't a huge town but there had to be some left. They all went somewhere. 

"Stay here," I said, turning to the door. "Keep it runn'in for now. If they come, just go. I'll meet ya back at the barn at sunup." 

"Yes sir," Abraham called after me giving me a nod of respect. 

I swung my crossbow down into my hand and opened the door. I jogged down the steps and turned to slam the door behind me only to find Jo on my heels. 

"I'm just-" I started to say but she was already shoving her way past me. She had her kukri in one hand and the large hunting knife I gave her in the other. I shook my head and slammed the door. There wasn't any point in arguing with her, she never listened anyway ain't no way she'd start now. 

I led the way as usual. She was right behind me, her tread almost silent on the black top. I moved over to the side walk and crept toward the next cross street. I flattened myself against the brick wall of the corner and peaked around it. It was an open alley that ran down to the next cross street. There were no walkers in sight. It would be a good place to park the RV. I crept into the dark alley and jogged to the opposite end. I pressed against the building to peak around the corner. The side street was clear as well. They would be able to get out in a hurry if they had to.

I turned back to Jo and jerked my head back towards the RV. She nodded and we walked side by side back towards the main street. I glanced over at her. She looked alert but calm. There wasn't a hint of fear on her face. It was a dark night, no moon and the clouds blacked out any light from the stars. Going out into a strange town on such a dark night was going to be risky. I was gonna have to decide who to send out after the flare. I wasn't sure if she was up for it just yet. 

"Jo," I said quietly. 

"Yeah?" she whispered back without looking at me.

"We are going to need to go out in a couple groups to try and find whoever sent up the flare."

She nodded. "Sounds good," she replied, studying the doorways we were passing looking for Walkers. 

"Are ya good?" my voice caught and I cleared my throat so I wouldn't sound so unsure. I was leading, I needed to sound like it. 

She stopped and looked back at me in confusion. "What?" she asked sharply. She finally tore her eyes away from the area around us and focused on me. I couldn't see their green color in the dim light, but I could see that they were narrowed dangerously and it was directed at me. 

I jerked my chin towards her. "I can't have ya out there if ya ain't one hundred percent." As soon as the words came out of my mouth I knew it was the wrong way to say it. She wasn't going to take it how I meant it.