45

We reached 3,000 views today!!!
To celebrate I bring you your second update of the day!!!

I hope you are enjoying the story! Please remember to vote/comment!

<><><><><>

Daryl

We were back in the kitchen, eating dinner before settling in for the night. We moved the candles from the piano room to the table so the kitchen was filled with flickering light.

"I'm gonna leave a thank you note," Beth said brightly. I wasn't sure where she had found a pen and paper.

"Why?" I didn't get it, we stole half their stash. They were going to be pissed.

"For when they come back," she said. "If they come back," I watched the thought go over her as she realized there was a chance they were already dead. "Even if they aren't coming back I still want to say thanks," she reasoned.

I looked over her shoulder as she wrote a little note. Her handwriting was loopy and girly and she frowned in concentration as she carefully chose what words to leave them.

"Maybe you don't have to leave that," I said quietly.

She looked up at me, frowning. She didn't understand what I meant.

"Maybe we stick around here for a little while. They come back. We'll just make it work. They may be nuts...but maybe it'll be alright." I didn't look at her as I spoke. I stared down into the jar of pickles I was eating. It was a good place. The house was already secure and with the forest near by I could hunt for us. I could take care of us here.

She smiled at me, biting her lip. "So you do think there are still good people around."

I shrugged.

She chuckled. "What changed your mind?"

I glanced at her and snorted. "You know."

"What?"

I looked at her but couldn't find the words. "I don't know," I mumbled.

"What changed your mind?" She pushed impatiently.

I didn't say anything, I just stared into her eyes, letting her see that I was okay now and I would take care of her. I never had a younger sibling, but I had to figure this is what having a little sister would have felt like. I wanted to protect her and keep her from all the bad things that were out there.

"Oh," she said in a quiet voice.

I cleared my throat uncomfortably when I was saved from having to say something by the cans clanging and the dog barking.

"I'm gonna give that mutt one more chance," I said grabbing the jar of peanut butter.

I left Beth in the kitchen and walked through the dark house towards the front door. I opened the door, ready to call for it but was greeted by a herd of snarling Walkers. I felt my eyes widen and I tried to slam the door. They were too close, and surged forward towards me. I leaned against it, trying desperately to hold them back.

"Beth!" I yelled urgently. "Beth!"

She came hobbling around the corner as fast as she could and threw me my crossbow.

"Run!" I yelled, motioning to the back of the house.

I tucked my crossbow into my shoulder and took a steady breath. I whirled away from the door letting it go. It flipped open and the walkers surged forward, growling eagerly. I fired at the first Walker through the door. It's body fell, tripping and slowing the others.