157

Guys, we reached 300K. I can't believe it. I am just in awe and so humbled that so many people have enjoyed this story. Thank you so much to everyone, I can't tell you what this level of support means to me. You are amazing! To celebrate I kicked it in the butt and worked hard to get this update out. I really hope you enjoy it!

Happy Reading!

<><><><><>

Jo

It was a little before dawn when I approached the gate. Daryl had left the house a few minutes before me and I had happily walked through the silent, peaceful community. It was good reminder of what we were fighting for. Why we were doing this. This was it. Go day. My nerves had kept me up most of the night. It was weird to think I could still get nervous about a fight. I had thought I lost that ability a long time ago. I wasn't nervous about myself however. There were so many pieces, so many cogs in the machine that had to work out just right for today to happen. And if I was honest I was mostly nervous about Daryl being out there, being hurt, being taken by that psychopath. I ran a hand over my hair and drew in a deep breath of the chill morning air.

Stop, reset.

I couldn't let myself get caught up in all the ways things could go wrong. I had to focus on all the ways we were going to make it go right. Daryl and I were leaving earlier than anyone. We had a couple things to take care of before the show began.

Carl and Daryl were waiting at the gate talking together in low tones. Carl looked up as I approached. He nodded to me and pushed it open. Daryl swung his leg over his bike, putting up the kickstand. He glanced over his shoulder at me, waiting for me to climb on behind him.

I stepped over to Carl, I licked my lips to sat something but before I could get any words out he pulled me into a tight hug. "I wish I was going with you," he mumbled moodily as he stepped back.

I smirked up at him and nodded. "I know," I agreed. "But your dad was right. We need you here. Someone has to be in charge while we're gone." I still thought Carl would be better served on the front line, but it was a step in the right direction for Rick to agree to leave him in charge. No one else in Alexandria seemed to even bat an eye over the prospect of following Carl.

Carl's gaze cut over to where Michonne was standing on lookout. In the darkness I could see her katana was strapped across her body even though she wasn't able to use it well just yet. A rifle was leaning against the fence within easy reach.

"Hey," I said, pulling his attention back onto me. "I'm glad it's you."

He snorted and looked away embarrassed. Drawing in a deep breath to steady myself I wrapped my arms around his slim shoulders and pulled him into a hug.

He pulled back and adjusted his hat. "If you get the chance-" he started to say and I nodded.

"I won't hesitate," I promised him. I dropped my hand to my belt and lifted out my Kukri where I had loosely placed it that morning. I held it out to him.

He frowned down at it. I pressed it closer. "You're getting good with the knives," I told him. "But you need a good one of your own."

"But this-" he said shaking his head. "I can't take this. It's yours."

I pressed my lips together. "I lived without it for a long time. You need something that doesn't run out of bullets aside from that old hunting knife," I said firmly.

Carl took the Kukri from me and strapped it to his hip opposite his gun holster. I nodded in approval. "Good," I said and I turned to leave.

"Hey Jo," Carl called after me.