154

<><><><><>
Jo

Carol had gone after Daryl, but as the meeting wrapped up I debated the wisdom in that. It wasn't as though I was contributing to the meeting. If anything it was a struggle to stay focused on what they were saying. My mind kept wandering back to the fight and all of the things I could have said differently.

Maybe I should have gone. Maybe if I had managed to keep a hold of my temper I would have been able to calmly talk to Daryl about this once we were alone. I knew he was still dealing with what had happened to him with Negan, I knew that and still I had pushed him. He was always protective but this had come from somewhere else. And once again instead of taking a moment to try and understand, as soon as he had started bossing me around I saw red. I said things I shouldn't have.

Once the meeting wrapped up I stepped out onto the porch. I shivered in the cool night air as I stepped up to the railing. I hadn't found where I lost my jacket in the fight. There was still cleanup to do but it would have to wait until morning. I stared out into the night, wondering where Daryl had gone

I stood out there for ten minutes before the door clicked open behind me. I didn't bother turning around as I heard Maggie and Jesus step out onto the porch. I was still feeling a little raw from our exchange at the table. They moved down the stairs before Maggie paused and looked back up at me.

"I'm glad you're with us Jo," Maggie said.

I nodded but didn't know what else to say. Maggie and I had been together for a long time, but in the time away it felt like I didn't know her anymore. They had witnessed my fight with Daryl and were doing their best to pretend like everything was normal.

Maggie looked like she wanted to say more, but the glare I leveled at her had her mouth snapping closed. She cleared her throat uncomfortably and right now I didn't care that I made other people uncomfortable. I just stared out into the night. "Well, we'll be seeing you soon."

I nodded. It was wrong to make them uncomfortable, they were our allies, but after the way they had behaved tonight I wasn't sure if they were my friends anymore. It was a very clear distinction in my over tired brain and it made me defensive. I wasn't going to stand here and pretend to be something I wasn't. I didn't have it in me to play the game anymore tonight. I couldn't do it. I was too tired. They walked away into the darkness without another word.

The door opened a few minutes later and Jerry and Ezekiel came out followed by Rick.

"I can't thank you enough again," Rick was saying.

"You have no need to my friend. We must stand together, allies against the growing darkness. This world is already filled with so much evil, we shall not let the evil's of men prevail," Ezekiel intoned, shaking Rick's hand earnestly.

I tightened my jaw but continued to stare off into the night. The King and Jerry stepped towards the stairs.

"Goodnight Lady Jo," Ezekiel called to me. "I sincerely hope you find peace this night."

His words caught me by surprise and my head snapped sideways to meet his gaze. His eyes were not those of the king putting on airs, but of a man of conviction. And just as I could feel a little too much of myself peaking out my eyes, I thought I was seeing Ezekiel for who he really was as well.

I stepped forward and held out my hand to my friend. "Thank you your majesty, I wish you a swift and safe journey home."

Ezekiel shook my hand warmly, his eyes sparkling. He was a good man. I could see why Carol had stayed with him in The Kingdom.