143

I have no words you guys. We reached 200k. I can't believe it. Thank you. Just thank you! All of you, the ones who vote and comment and my silent readers as well. You all have made this story happen. Any time I have considered leaving it your enthusiasm has always reignited and inspired me. Thank you!

<><><><><>

Daryl

I sat up in the dark, musky attic for what felt like hours. The walls were too close and not being able to see my hand in front of my face made it hard to think. But after what felt like the first hour my heartbeat finally slowed and I was able to think clearly again. After what felt like a second hour I was convinced we had just overreacted. I coulda stayed in the damn closet downstairs and it wouldn'ta mattered. The Saviors weren't coming to our house and I just needed Carl to come give me the all clear.

The kid had sworn to me he would take care of Jo. When I first climbed my ass up here and looked back down the trap door at him he had met my eyes like a man and promised me he wouldn't let anything happen to her.

I didn't want to think too hard on it, but if I was being honest I trusted his word more than I trusted Rick. Rick had too many responsibilities, too many people to protect. He had to think of the group as a whole, it made him a good leader. But Carl would take care of his family. And Jo was his family. He was a tough kid. He wouldn't let anything happen to her.

The panicked feeling I had since I left her downstairs finally died down some. I had been gone for weeks and she had been fine. But what happened yesterday had changed things. Jo was strong and capable but now she was vulnerable and it was messing with my head. I cracked my neck and took a deep breath.

Then I heard the front door open and slam shut hard enough to rattle the windows in the house. Too hard for anyone who lived here who knew Lil Ass Kicker might be napping and Jo was hurt and resting. It was a warning, had to be. The Saviors were in the house.

I swung my crossbow around into my hands and the weight of it made me feel better.

"It'll go a hell of a lot easier if you just tell him where the goodies are," I froze at the sound of that voice. "Then you don't get your cookie jar raided."

He was here. That son of a bitch was downstairs. He was here, in the house and I was stuck up in the dark, stuffy attic. My heart was pounding too loud for me to hear what Rick said back. 

"Don't be rude Rick, the good doctor just wants to take a peek in the medicine cabinets. Now," he said chuckling knowingly. "Who else is here?"

He knew.

My grip tightened on my crossbow. I could end this right now. I leaned forward to lifted the trap door. It didn't move. I jerked on it roughly, but it was stuck. Not stuck, locked. I ground my teeth together. Carl. Carl had locked me up here.

I pulled at the neck of my shirt as sweat started running down my back. It hadn't seemed so hot up here a couple minutes ago. I pulled at the door again. I couldn't stay up here. She was down there and she was too hurt to fight, too hurt to take care of herself and he was here.

"Seems we have a patient in the basement doc," his voice was muffled and I knew he was headed towards the stairs. I could hear his boots on the floor.

Jo, he was headed for Jo.

I had to get out of here. I pulled at the trap door. I didn't know I had dropped my crossbow til both of my shaking hands were wrapped around the slim edges of the door.