Soulmate Alternate Universe - Bruce's Chapter

AU prompt: Your soul mate tattoo(can be anything) is similar to a mood ring, it changes its color depending on what your soulmate is feeling at the moment.

__________________________________________________________

From day one you were quite curious about the colourful mark on your inner forearm. The design, you mother had told you, was specific to you and only one other person in the world. He, or she, was meant to be your one and only. Your soul mate. The idea as a kid wasn't too important, what mattered was making friends and spending time with them. Having a soul mate was second to your little girl mind. The mark on your arm was still colourful, changing often well into your twenties.

You were busy at work, cleaning around your classroom after a science experiment with your students when you noticed the mark on your arm turn green and then began to burn. It burned to the point where you cried out alerting your teaching aid who was standing right outside of the door.

"Are you alright?" She asked looking at the pain on your face and your hand grasping your forearm.

"Maybe you should go to the nurses office, see if you maybe got some chemicals on it from the last class okay?" You nodded with tears in your eyes as the burning intensified.

The nurse was perplexed but told you to run it under some water, put some aloe on it afterwards and if that doesn't help that maybe you should go to the hospital. You didn't think it was that serious so you went through your day like it wasn't bothering you.

That night at home you found yourself in the same place you always went when you weren't able to handle it anymore, your couch with the television blaring. You didn't care about the neighbors complaints because their kids were enough to complain about if they threatened to call in a noise complaint.

No matter which channel you turned it to all they had to talk about what something bad happened in Harlem. You didn't know and right now you didn't care because Harlem wasn't nearby and you were too busy worrying about the pain in your arm to pay attention.

As each day passed the pain would subside or intensify but you couldn't figure out the triggers because it always seemed to random to you. It always felt like you could be simply sitting on the couch doing nothing when suddenly the pain would returned. You were strong though and you wouldn't let it take away from your day to day life.

Days turned into weeks and then months until a year nearly passed when the sudden threat of an invasion passed through as a rumor in your classroom. You ignored it until you couldn't anymore and there was an alien creature threatening the lives of you and your students. You stood brave between it and them until another much larger creature came through the wall, into the thing and took it right out of the window it had come through.

"Okay, okay. Come on guys this way, this way!" You stood beside the doorway as they filed out mixing with all of the other students as they left the room.

"Go, lead them to the front of the school and-"

"To 93rd street, we have a barricade set up there and they'll be safe!" The voice sounded from above and you nodded.

"Go on, you heard him!" You shoved your fellow teacher out of her daze and she headed with the others towards the exit.

You were the last behind the flood of kids and adults when another creature grabbed for a student. Time didn't slow down but instead you lost the sense of it and just launched yourself onto the thing. You couldn't fight, you weren't anymore then a science teacher protecting her friends and students. You pulled at its ears, eyes or anything that could possible lead it away from the group and out of the way.

"Come on you ugly thing, go this way!" You grumbled and pulled at its ears. You looked up and noticed the huge green thing coming at you at a full speed. You couldn't register the impact because it knocked you out and to the ground with the sound of a roar being the last thing you heard.

"See, look you didn't kill her Bruce she is just fine." You heard a voice grumble but you didn't recognize it.

"I'm pretty sure it's what saved my life really, I mean I don't know how to fight at all." You said in a hushed whisper.

"Well you certainly have some gall to just jump on the back of an alien creature with a gun." A man said and you opened your eyes to notice a group of people standing around you. You leaned up holding your head as you did so.

"Cap over there brought you to 93rd street where the others were rushed off to so you could get checked out by the docs." You recognized his voice because he's been on television, it was Tony Stark.

"Who are you guys anyways? I mean I don't want to seem mean or anything but I don't know any of you and suddenly your talking to me like I'm a friend." You scolded but you just couldn't focus on any of their faces.

"Who we are?" There were spots starting to appear in your vision again and suddenly their voices all faded and you passed out again.

You woke up again a little while later mind fuzzy and in a different place once more. You hurt everywhere now, the adrenaline was gone and the pain replaced it. You were aching but you opened your eyes to find a man sitting at your bedside. He had brown hair and glasses with a worried look on his face.

"If I keep waking up in different places each time I close my eyes I'm going to stop closing my eyes." You muttered and he finally looked up at you.

"I can't tell you enough how sorry I am to be the reason you're here. I can't control him." You didn't understand him.

"You mean that green guys who bulldozed into a creature that was going to kill me otherwise?" He nodded and you laughed.

"I'm glad you can't control him then, I'd be dead if it weren't for you. I don't know about you but I would much rather be sore with no injuries then dead." He stayed quiet.

"What's your name? I didn't catch it earlier because I passed out again." You asked reaching out to shake his hand.

"Bruce Banner, yours?" You told him your name with a smile without realizing the mark on your arm was visible to him.

"Do you think I could take a closer look at that?" He motioned towards your arm and you nodded.

"Sure, I guess." You held out your arm and he examined the mark closely.

"You know it's the weirdest thing, it burns like fire now-a-days. I remember when it started burning too, I saw this news report on some disaster in Harlem, you know? I was too busy thinking about the pain to focus on what they were saying though." He was quiet, listening to you talk face becoming red with embarrassment.

"Are you alright? You're face is pretty red, I could-" He held out his arm, the one closest to you and on his inner forearm was a mark that matched yours, it looked like it could fit together like a puzzle piece if he held it close enough to your own.

"I am alive, right? I mean, don't get this wrong or anything I like you but I can't just jump into a relationship, you know?" You went on and on until he grabbed your hand.

"We don't have to rush into anything, I'm not going to make you like me or make you be with me. Just know that I'm around when you need me or if you want to talk." The two of you ended up talking for a long time even after you were released from the hospital. It may have been a complete accident meeting him but you were glad that fate lead you there.

_____________________________________________________________

I know this won't make up for the lack of updating but I hope you guys and gals enjoy it. I am trying so hard to get my head back in the game, make myself write again but each time I try it is awful. I have a cold at the moment but I was determined to get something posted for you patient people. I plan on making my New Years resolution that, write on each day off so that I can get back into writing properly. Talk to you all later!