You Think You're Losing Them

Steve Rogers

     It was strange, one week he was so loving and sweet to you and this week he had never felt more distant. He was not the type to keep secrets from you, not the type to be so hush-hush about anything and even if it was for you he would eventually crack and tell you. Something was clearly up and you wanted to know what that was, even if it meant going about it behind his back. You were sitting on the couch, waiting for Steve to get home but by the time he had you were long asleep. He stopped coming home at regular times, stopped telling you where he was going and all but stopped talking to you in general and it was rather heartbreaking. You love him, love him with all of your heart and it was a hard pill to swallow to think that he was slipping away from you and there was nothing you could do. You decided that when you managed to corner him next you were going to confront him and ask him why he was acting like this. You stuck by that promise to yourself because when morning came you were waiting at the door for him to try and sneak out again. "Steven Grant Rogers, what on earth are you doing sneaking around like this? Have you even thought about me? I mean I have been waiting up for you every night but you never show until after I fall asleep and then sneak away before I wake up." You placed your hands on his arms and he didn't move but he smiled, oh it wan't fair, "I promise you that I still love you but I can't tell you where I'm going or what I've been doing but believe me, you will know soon, alright?" You failed to see how that was suppose to help but you couldn't deny that smile, you felt helpless as you watched him leave.

Tony Stark

      You were just as busy as he was and it was clearly taking its toll on the relationship. You never knew what he was up to down in that shop but it wasn't the same for him because he could ask Jarvis what you were up to. It was almost like being under constant watch but not able to see what the other person is doing. You love Tony but this is getting ridiculous, you were bound and determined to know what had his mind occupied all hours of the day. You weren't necessarily worried about it being another person but more worried that it was something you did that pushed him away. You tried very hard to make sure to spend as much time with him as possible but sometimes you just couldn't. You waited by the door to his workshop for him to peek his head out and see what you wanted, it wasn't like you hadn't done this a million times before but it felt so different today. Today felt like this could be the last time, it felt like you were losing him and you could feel the knot building in your throat. "What can I do for ya, Sweet Cheeks?" he surely wasn't acting much different than usual "Tony," you voice was small and sounded about as nervous as you felt "What have you been doing down here? I mean you're here all of the time and I've hardly seen you lately. . ." you whispered. He stepped out of the shop shutting the door behind him before he held you at arms length. "I love you, I just, can't tell you what's been keeping me busy and besides you don't need to worry because I'll be up tonight and we can spend some time together then. Sound good?" you nodded but you sure didn't feel better about the feeling in your chest as you watched him shut the door leaving you alone with your thoughts.

Bruce Banner

       It was hard for Bruce to show affection without the nervousness and this week he'd been more distant than every before. You hadn't noticed at first thinking it was just work again but the more you noticed it the more insecure you felt. You certainly weren't perfect but you felt perfect around him but now, as you watched him from the corner of your eyes you never felt more insecure. You had convinced yourself that he was going to leave, again, because of the other guy he had to deal with and to be honest that would come as a relief from the panic and pain because then you know it wasn't your insecurities that ran him off. It would be the first time you felt this way but it certainly never got easier and each time you felt like he was slipping away from you, it only seemed to hurt more. There wasn't a part of your life that you didn't see him in, he was your here and now, he was all you saw when you thought about the future so you were scared to loose him. Your heart had, had enough and made you stand to confront him. You didn't know what you were going to say or even how to say it but you walked over to him anyways. "Br-Bruce, can I talk to you a minute?" he nodded and followed you without a word otherwise towards the spare room across the hall. Once in there you crossed your arms and looked away from him, unable to keep eye contact "I, I don't know why you've been so distant lately but I love you and if you're going to leave you can I won't stop you" you felt his hands on your shoulders making you look up. "I'm not leaving, lord knows I should because I'm nothing but a danger to everyone here, but I'm not. I love you, I do but I can't tell you why I've been so distant and quiet lately. Do you trust me?" you nodded without hesitation. "Then trust me when I tell you I love you and I'm not leaving you" he gave you a sweet smile before leaving the room, before leaving you standing there alone with tears streaming silently down your face.