A Call While Away

Steve Rogers

      You knew better than to call Steve while he was away, it would compromise the mission and possibly cause him more problems but you missed him. You knew he'd be away for a while and you just couldn't bare the thought of not hearing his voice again so you, sitting at home alone, picked up the phone. You dialed his number, a number that was ingrained into your memory and listened for the voice that would signal he was alright. One, two, three rings later his groggy voice spoke through the receiver and you smiled "hello, Agent Rogers here" you sighed to yourself. Speaking quietly like your voice would be too loud and someone would hear it "Steve?" you could almost picture him sitting up and fixing himself to look proper even though it was obvious he had been dead asleep. "I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have called but. . .I really miss you" you fiddled with the cord that was attached to the phone "I know, I miss you too but I'll be home before you know it" he shoo'd away another that came in to see what he had woken up for. "I love you" you whispered into the phone picturing his smile and his soft baby blue eyes made your own start to get watery. You heard him shift through the phone "I love you too, but, I'll make sure to be in your dreams tonight how does that sound?" you laughed "incredibly cheesy but just what I needed to hear, I see you soon?" you asked more than said it "see you soon." He said it as matter-of-fact and nothing to be questioned and you smiled hanging up the phone, you sat in that spot for a while longer before heading into your shared room. You looked around his shirt drawer for one to wear, found one of his flannels and put it on before slipping on some of your older sweatpants. Crawling into bed on his side you smiled, you were reassured that he was coming back by just hearing his voice and now you could sleep peacefully.

Tony Stark

     You missed Tony, you always missed him while he was away but knowing that there was a chance that he wouldn't be back made you nearly cry at the thought. You paced his room, you weren't like this and this shouldn't hurt so much but it did and you had to call him. You knew how much trouble you'd be in if you called him while he was busy but you just couldn't bring yourself to care. You missed him, you had to hear his voice and know that he was alright. "Jarvis, dial Tony" the AI did as instructed and dialed his master, "he is currently sleeping, would you like me to wake him?" you didn't want to wake him up but you nodded "yes" the AI obeyed much to Tony's annoyance. You were happy to see his grumpy face "I'm sorry Tony, I, I had to talk to you" you spoke into the phone holding it close to your ear. "Mm, hmm, hey love" he mumbled out and you grinned listening to his rambling. He was never the talkative type when he was woken up "Tony, I love you and I really miss you" you nearly whispered it but didn't because you wanted him to hear you. "I love you an miss you too" he managed to get out the words and even though he was still mostly asleep while muttering out proper responses you enjoyed the moment. Rolling your eyes you sighed "go back to bed, I'll see you soon?" he nodded but then spoke up before promptly fall back to sleep "yeah, yeah, see you soon Doll." You had never met a man able to fall back to sleep quite as fast as he could but you pushed that thought away as you looked through his dresser and Jarvis hung up both ends of the call. You found one of Tony's most precious shirts and slid it on before crawling into his bed and laying there in silence knowing he was safe wherever he was. You smiled closing your eyes and falling asleep to the sound of the wind tonight.

Bruce Banner

       You were used to being at home alone, he was a busy man but something about knowing he was off working on a dangerous mission made this night uncomfortably silent. The trees didn't rustle and the birds weren't singing, you were worried but you couldn't call him. You tore into yourself, beating yourself over the thought of whether or not you should or could call him. You had not called him before while he was away but the circumstances weren't quite the same as the other times. You picked up the phone and paced your living room with your fingers hovering over the start of the digits that would lead to his soft voice. You couldn't stand it anymore and dialed the number you had memorized a while ago, you waited for the ringing to start before you sat down. Three rings later a small voice said "Hello, this is Dr. Banner speaking" you smiled just hearing his voice "always so professional, hey Bruce." You heard him move and you messed with the hem of your shirt worried that maybe this was a bad time to call him "I can call back-" he interrupted you "No! Um, I mean, no it's fine I just wanted to be somewhere more private." You jumped at his sudden outburst "I miss you" you whispered into the phone holding it tight like it was your only life support "I miss you too you know that, I can't talk too much longer though. We have some people tailing us so I can't talk long" his voice faded out towards the end like he didn't want to go but he had no choice. You sighed but smiled knowing he was alright right now "well, I love you and I'll see you soon!" you chirped making him smile to himself "love you too, see you soon." Hanging up on him you looked at the phone in your hand before putting it back on the charger and standing up. You walked into the empty bedroom and noticed his favorite book on the dresser, you walked to it and picked it up. Opening it you began reading the first few sentences while getting comfortable on the bed but before long you were three chapters in and unable to put the book down. You read until you fell asleep with the book on your stomach.