Christmas with James "Bucky" Barnes - Sick

It was the very end of November and already snowing outside but you were stuck inside, sick. You had the flu and you had it bad, you couldn't eat more than a few crackers and sip on some water before wanting to go back to sleep again. You have always enjoyed the snow but being sick was something no one enjoyed. You remember when you caught this nasty flu, it was out on a mission with Natasha and a sick child had asked for help and now this was your punishment.

You were curled up on your couch, partially nibbled on crackers making a mess of the coffee table and a glass of half-empty water sitting amongst it. The snow made the room very bright which made you squint and groan, rolling over to face the couch instead. You didn't get sick very often but you weren't immune from illness completely like Bucky and Steve were. Speaking of which, said men were busy doing your shopping for you.

You were desperate for all of the holiday shopping to get finished, all of the decorations to be up and everything in it's place so you didn't have to bother with it because, let's face it, having to do work when you're this sick isn't at all fun or enjoyable. Christmas was something you looked forward to every single year, something about it made you happy and you loved being happy(who doesn't?)

Every year you put up a small fake tree decorated simply in the corner of the room. You had very simple decorations out front and always hung a stocking even though you were the one to fill your own with an assortment of candies or personal cleaning products. You enjoyed it enough though that this didn't matter, that buying your own gifts didn't matter as much as enjoying the holiday itself. Now that you were an unofficial part of the Avengers you received gifts from all of them and, in turn, bought each one of them something they could use or would enjoy. You had been lucky to get your gift for Bucky before you had gotten sick which was nothing more than a wrist watch but it was something he always complained about.

The more you tried to think about if they were picking up the correct items on the list you provided them the more your head began to throb and the more you wanted to sleep. You rolled over onto your back in hopes that it would ease the pain radiating through your organs but it only succeeded in making your head hurt more.

"Ugh, why me?" You blew your nose into the what you believed to be the hundredth tissue before groaning again. You felt horrible and all you wanted was to feel better but that didn't appear to be on the list of things to happen anytime soon.

You heard the door finally open about the time that dusk happened to rear it's colourful head. Bucky and Steve trudged in with snow all over them, the things they purchased for you, and now all over the floor. You didn't care really, it wasn't too big a deal because you were happy they were back and you did not have to ponder it any longer.

"Hey, how you feeling?" Steve offered a smile sitting the bags he was carrying down on the floor next to the end of the couch closest to the door.

"Been better" Your nose was so stuffy that it came out very funny but he didn't say anything about it.

"Well, now that my part of the deal is done I should be getting home, you got this Buck?" Bucky was busy putting things away but gave Steve a slight nod and with that the super soldier left but not without saying that he hoped you felt better soon.

"So, how are you really feeling?" Bucky said as he made you lean up so that he could sit with you. You grumbled under your breath before flopping your head back into his lap.