Waking Up in the Hospital

This is going to be from their point of view, and I will be attempting they/them pronouns. Sweetheart, baby, and love are all genderneutral pet names, and I will be using them.

_________________________________________

Steve Rogers

    "I can't wait to get home. Today's day's been exhausting." I sighed, opening the door to the house. The house is warm and welcoming, a pleasant difference to the cold winter air outside. I set my shoes off to the side, my jacket on the door side rack, and set off to find My Baby. They usually kept themselves busy with working from home or making calls. Calling out to them didn't help, so I set off to find where they were. "There can't be that many places to hide, Love," I called out again, but again no response. "Are you in here?" Walking into the office they kept hidden in the back of the house, my heart nearly stopped. "Shit! Ah, wake up. Please, wake up." I darted to them as they lay on the floor. They were still breathing but out cold. "Should I run them to the hospital or call? Which is faster? Think, Steve, think!" I felt the panic run through me. "Call, yes, call." And I did. "Hmm?" A soft groan pulled me from my thoughts and distracted me from the excessive beeping around me. "Steve?" Their voice was soft but hoarse. "Hey, you're awake. You gave me quite the scare, Sweetheart." I grabbed their hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "What happened?" Handing them a small cup of cool water, I sighed. "The doctor said you passed out from exhaustion and overexertion." I'm sure my eyes were full of concern because they looked away. "I'm not mad..." I whispered, taking the cup and then their hand. "You just scared me, really scared me. Promise me something?" They nodded. "Be more careful, take breaks, and take care of yourself. If not for you right now, do it for me?" I asked. They agreed. Once released from the hospital, it was a long night of cuddling and movies.

Tony Stark

     I leaned back in my chair with a tired groan. A few pops came from my back, and I groaned. "I'm getting too old for this. System, music off." I called out before standing. "I should get something to eat and then check on The Sweetheart." Heading toward my suite at the top of the tower was always the boring part. "Hey, you in here, Babe?" Walking out of the elevator and through the glass doors, I will never forget the sight. On the floor, right in front of the kitchen, they lay unconscious. "Ah, shit. Wake up..." A few panicked pats on their cheek did nothing to wake them. "Hospital, up we go." There wasn't a moment to waste on calling for help when I could get to a hospital faster than they could get to us. "Fuck, my head..." Their grumbling voice broke me from my staring. "It's about time you woke up. You scared the shit out of me. You know that?" Their face grimaced, and I sighed. "The doc said you need rest, so sleep. I'll be right here, and, next time? Just take a break." I wasn't angry, but I was scared and worried. "But, Tony, I'm-" I held my hand up before they could finish their sentence. "No. Rest." I placed a kiss on their forehead. "We can talk about this later sleep for now. I love you." With a few more grumbling words of protest, they finally went back to sleep. We'd have a long talk later, but for now, I'll wait.

Bruce Banner

     The anger was so strong that I couldn't stop him. My memories after that moment were hazy at best all I can remember is the intense anger. I woke up naked in an old warehouse outside of town. Hailing down a car to help while naked is one of the most embarrassing things I've done in recent years. Getting into some warm clothes, my next thought was of them. They were the only other person I remember being around when he took over. Running my hand over my face, I checked the phone. There were a few messages, but nothing important. "I need to get back to the lab..." I felt an overwhelming feeling of dread wash over me. "They have to be there waiting...please..." I whispered, now in a hurry to get to the lab. Getting to the lab wasn't as quick as I was hoping it would be, but I made it eventually. "I need to see them." Security didn't hesitate to let me through the gate. "Where are they?" Natasha was the first person I found. "The hospital, Bruce." She said, her eyes giving away the sympathy her words did not. "What?" I whispered, the words rattling around in my head. "They were knocked out when you changed into Hulk." Her words were nearly physical as they began to sink in. "Where am I?" Their voice was low as they looked around. "The hospital..." My voice was quiet, and I couldn't look them in the eye. "I was hoping you would be alright." They said, their hand grabbing mine. "Me? I put you here..." They shook their head with a soft laugh. "Technically, yes, but I knew better than to be as close as I was when it happened." I kept my eyes on our linked hands. "Look at me, please?" They said, and hesitantly I did. "I don't blame you, so, how long did they say I was going to be stuck in here?" Their resilience was astounding. "Another day, just for observation and then medication and bed rest for another three," I said, and they nodded, shifting into the lumpy pillow more. We'd spend nights talking about it afterward.