You Almost Die

Steve Rogers      

      By the time he reached the hospital you were very pale and it would be an understatement to say that Steve was worried. He paced back and forth in the main lobby of the hospital, Tony and Clint arguing about something in the seats to his left while Nat and Bruce talking calmly to his right. The blue eye'd God tried in vain to calm the pacing soldier but he couldn't hear anything but his own thoughts, and they were tearing his heart apart with each passing second. He prayed in silence, never had he felt so incredibly guilty and afraid all in one moment. If he were to lose you, to lose the best thing that had ever happened to him and his best friend he wouldn't know what to do. His thoughts were finally interrupted by the intercom system calling out a code blue and he truly felt his heart shatter in his chest and felt the stinging of the pain from it too. There were no words between the members of the team as they watched the super-soldier collapse to the floor head in his hands and tears falling from his clouded blue eyes. It was twenty minutes before a nurse and a doctor came into the lobby and the group had never jump to attention faster, Steve was now standing solemnly in the middle of the others. The doctor had a deep older sounding voice that matched his silver hair and stern eyes but the small man next to him had the exact opposite look about him with a voice that matched his small stature. He asked for those who were related to or friends of yours before leading them into another room to explain the situation. Sitting in the small room made Steve feel like he was packed into a can but he listened to every word the old man said to him "She's in terrible shape, I won't lie, she's coded once already and she's now in a medically induced coma for her sake. We found a number of injuries that were life threatening and to be honest, it's a miracle she even made it here but we are doing everything we can for her. The rest is up to her and her bodies ability to heal." One by one each member left the room but Steve stayed he was unable to move, unwilling to make his body move from the shocked position on the soft chair he sat in about ten minutes earlier. Each member of the team got the chance to talk with you, even though you were 'sedated' you felt them next to you, you felt them there with you. You listened as Nat and Clint talked about some inside jokes you had and you wished you could talk with them and laugh at the memories but you were unable. You listened to the soft voice of Bruce as he explained all of the medical terms he didn't think you'd understand, you knew it was his way of making sure you were alright and knew he cared about you. You wished you could've smacked Tony hearing him mutter profanities at the hospital staff but ignored it hearing his sweet words for you to get better so he could have someone to tease. Lastly you heard the soft voice of Steve and your heart flutter reflecting on the monitor before slowing as he grabbed your hand. You heard him whisper out just how much you meant to him, heard his plea for you to wake up and be better. If you could, if you were able to do so you would have and you would have repeated his words to you back to him because everything he told you was true for him as well. You eventually fell asleep behind already closed eye lids to the words, "I love you, please, please don't leave me now."

Tony Stark

       Tony refused to tell his friends, refused to admit how much he was worried because he was so used to not telling anyone how much he hurt. In the silence Tony was screaming in his head, cursing and flipping out but he couldn't let anyone see that. He never thought this would happen to you, never thought that you'd be the one to be so loyal to him after all the things he has done before. While he was brutally scolding himself Bruce came into the hospital noticing Tony siting with a stone cold look on his face and he knew. Bruce was a smart man and he had been around Tony long enough to know him and he knew he was beating himself over this. Jarvis had informed him of Tony's location and so that's why he was here. When Bruce grabbed Tony's arm and dragged him outside and out of sight of the public he said, "stop beating yourself up because you know as well as I do that you couldn't have known this would happen." Tony was about to go on a rant and get mad but what came out of his agape mouth was exactly what he needed. He cried, cried like he was a child against his best friends shoulder. It wasn't too much longer before he regained his cocky composure and took a deep breath. "We never speak of that again" he cleared his throat and Bruce nodded "you should go back in there, I'm sure she's gonna need you and I'm going to be back at the lab." The two parted ways and Tony entered the hospital once more but this time with a clearer head. He waited and waited for what felt like forever but soon enough a petite nurse came into the room and asked for him seeing as how he was the one to bring you in. He followed her down the endlessly white hallway, taking in all of the families in each room and then the one with no one but the patient in it and that's where the nurse stopped. "She's in there, you can talk with her but she's sedated so she won't respond" she went to leave but stopped briefly "and the doctor will be in to talk with you momentarily." When he stepped into the room, he knew in his heart it was bad but to see you connected to that many tubes he had never felt more helpless. He watched the machine pump air in and out of your body making your chest rise and fall he got choked up once more but he didn't cry. He looked at each bruise covering your arms and face and only partially on your small neck and he had never felt more relieved to have beaten those men for you and for him. The doctor came in and Tony had yet to move from his position at the end of the bed, "Mister Stark?" he turned at the sound of his name "can I have a word with you?" the doctor came in and shut the door before motioning for Tony to sit down, which he hesitantly did. The doctor began explaining things to an obviously dazed man "she had numerous broken bones, bruised internally organs and her liver was lacerated which caused severe internal bleeding. All of which should have killed her but she's doing surprisingly good right now but that can always change so always be ready for the worst. I can't tell you how long it's going to take for her to wake up on her own or if she will remember anything, she's been beaten pretty badly so she may not remember any of it." Tony stood simultaneously with the doctor without a word escaping his now tightly pressed lips. He moved to a seat that was closer to you, sitting in that seat he grabbed your hand and felt sick at how pale you looked and how cold your hand felt in his. He whispered happy memories and small jokes to you in hopes that it would make the hurt in his heart ease up but the opposite happened and he ended up crying himself to sleep clutching your hand tight.