Chapter 290 - The Hokage's Ultimatum

March 21 - 7:40 am

Hiruzen internally sighed as he observed the Genin. He then looked at Mizuki inside the interrogation room who was slowly starting to struggle against his restraints. "Will he survive... After this?"

Daichi was quiet for a few moments before he replied. "If he's subjected to the current stimulation for about an hour and a half or more, his mind would be gone and no treatment would be able to heal him. For all intents and purposes he'd be nothing more than a walking corpse..."

Hiruzen kept his attention on Mizuki and didn't show any reaction to hearing Daichi's answer.

"But... If it's stopped in around just an hour or so, he can still be saved."

At Daichi's answer Hiruzen turned to look at the boy and nodded. "What are you going to do now?" He asked the Genin.

"I'm going home for a while. So many things happened in such a short time. I need to clear my head."

Just then Genma appeared and gave a small bow to the kage. "They're waiting for you at the office sir."

Hiruzen nodded. He looked at Daichi and after a few moments of silence spoke. "Do what you think is needed. But you shouldn't forget Tsunade's words."

Daichi nodded and soon both Hiruzen and Daichi went their separate ways while Ibiki and Inoichi observed the changes in Mizuki's behavior patterns.

—-

Hiruzen quickly made his way to his office and soon could sense the presence of his three former teammates waiting inside. He looked at the two guards and nodded. "Don't let anyone inside until I'm finished with this meeting."

"Yes Sir." The two Chunins stationed stood straight and replied.

Hiruzen entered the room and saw the curious gaze of the three. 'It seems they don't know yet.'

"Why have you called us so suddenly Hiruzen? What happened?" Homura asked the man.

"And why is the village still in the Level 1 emergency state? I thought the escaped prisoners were recaptured." Koharu also spoke.

Danzo merely looked at Hiruzen with a stoic gaze and stood silently. 'Something serious must have happened that he's even asked for me to come... Does this have something to do with the Root agents that were caught.'

Hiruzen's eyes roamed the faces of his three teammates and he soon took his chair. "A little over an hour ago I received credible intelligence that Orochimaru had attacked Tsunade and Shizune."

The news was like a thunderstorm for the other three. Even someone like Danzo was surprised at this piece of information.

"What? Hiruzen are you sure about this?" Homura couldn't help but ask.

"Yes. The information is credible. And I've sent a team to investigate it." The kage replied.

"This isn't good Hiruzen. Tsunade may not be an active shinobi but she is a deterrent against other nations. If they realize that she's missing or even dead then it will create chaos." Koharu spoke with slight dread in her tone.

"Did Orochimaru kill them?" It was Danzo who asked this question and Hiruzen became silent. A few moments later he replied.

"The truth is I don't know. Tsunade's pet came here this morning with a message from Shizune saying they were ambushed last night near the border. Whether they were killed or Orochimaru took them... I'm not sure... But I'm hoping it's the latter. That way there is still a chance to save them." The sadness and tiredness in his voice wasn't missed by his friends.