Chapter 273 - The Forbidden Scroll Incident 04

Hokage's Room

Hiruzen watched in anger as Mizuki broke the rule and revealed the secret about the nine tails to Naruto and unknowingly his classmates as well. 'Now that Naruto knows the truth, what will he do?'

The old kage turned his attention to Shikamaru and the rest. 'Shikaku said his son already knew. Yet he hasn't shown any hostility to Naruto. So I don't have to worry about him. But what about the rest? Will their hearts and minds be strong and clever enough to separate Naruto and the beast and see them as two entities?'

Hiruzen kept observing the group and even after the revelation he saw that the rookies jumped in to save Iruka and Naruto. It brought relief and a small smile to his face. 'They all make a great team. Still, they'll have questions when this is all over. I'll need to explain everything carefully. Still, if Mizuki becomes desperate and tries something there is the possibility of someone getting injured or worse. It's best if I send someone over there now.'

Having made a decision Hiruzen was about to call forth his personal guards but at that moment something else happened.

BOOM!

A sudden explosion from the village caught Hiruzen's attention. The windows of the Hokage tower slightly rattled from the winds and every ninja was on alert. The kage stood from his chair and went to look outside. He saw many people rushing towards the explosion. The smoke and fire were coming from the market district.

"Bull." As Hiruzen said the name, an Anbu appeared behind him on one knee. "Find out what's happening and the ones responsible."

"Sir." The Anbu vanished and Hiruzen's eyes roamed the village looking for anything else happening.

Several seconds later just when things didn't seem like it could get worse three more explosions went off in three different locations. The three guards in the room and two remaining Anbu appeared beside the Hokage.

Hiruzen turned to his two Anbu members. One of them had a mask resembling a wolf while the other a lizard.

"Wolf! I'm putting the village on a level 1 emergency alert. Coordinate with the Jonins and get the situation under control. Evacuate the civilians if needed. Make sure of their safety."

"Yes sir."

"Lizard. Go to the locations that were just hit. Assess the damage and casualties and report back to me as soon as possible."

"Sir."

The two ninjas vanished and the old kage turned his attention to the village.

"Who would do something like this?" Raido saw the fire and smoke and could help but ask.

"Someone who thinks it's worth it to make an enemy out of an entire village." Genma said with narrowed eyes.

"It can't be a coincidence that these attacks happened just on the night Mizuki planned to take the scroll. He must be behind this." Iwase theory made sense to everyone.

At that moment the guards and the Hokage sensed the presence of two ninjas rushing towards the tower. They quickly recognized the two ninjas as part of the patrol unit.

"Lord Hokage. I have terrible news! The prisoners have escaped."

"What?" The kage was surprised as he knew the possibility of a prison break was very very slim.

"It's true. The Leaf Correctional facility has been compromised. The prisoners are on the loose. Our team came across a few of them. We captured them and found out about it just a short while ago."