Chapter 272 - The Forbidden Scroll Incident 03

The smile on Naruto's face vanished as he saw his teacher's vicious and hateful expression. He certainly didn't expect Mizuki to attack him right out of the blue. The blond boy stood frozen in fear as the kunais were coming straight at him.

Sasuke, Shikamaru and the rest of the new graduates also didn't anticipate Mizuki to try and outright kill Naruto right then and there. Their eyes widened and they stood still in shock as well. But Sasuke was the only one who quickly snapped out of it and took action. He held several shuriken between his fingers and was about to throw them from his location but someone beat him to it. The Uchiha heard the distinct whistle of shurikens flying at a fast rate and his eyes moved in that direction. In moments he saw them and realized they were accurately going to intercept Mizuki's kunai.

A few feet in front of Naruto, Mizuki's kunai were hit by several shuriken that came from the darkness of the forest and they successfully deflected the weapons aimed to kill the boy.

"What the? Where did those come from?" Mizuki wondered seeing his attack fail.

A second later Iruka appeared and stood several feet in front of Naruto, looking at his colleague with narrowed eyes.

Shikamaru and the rest of the rookies let out relieved breaths as they saw their friend unharmed. 'Iruka sensei. He's here. Oh thank god.'

"That was too close. If Iruka sensei hadn't shown up or was even a second late, Naruto would have been a goner now." Kiba said in a low tone.

"No kidding..." Ino said and Sakura and Hinata nodded. Hinata's hands tightened and clenched into fists. She looked at Mizuki and for the first time the emotion of hatred appeared in her kind heart.

The rest of the rookies paid close attention to the interaction going on between the three and were getting ready to intervene.

Iruka glared at Mizuki silently for a few seconds before speaking. "What's the meaning of this Mizuki? Lord Hokage asked us to bring Naruto in unharmed for questioning. So why did you attack him with such lethal force?"

Mizuki gritted his teeth looking at the man. 'I wanted to make you suffer one last time by telling you what that brat did but I didn't expect you to actually find this place. I guess that's an oversight on my part.'

"I see you found my location. I have to admit. I didn't expect that." Mizuki looked down at Iruka and crossed his arms.

"Wha-what's going on? Why did you attack me? Is- is this part of the test?" Naruto asked, slightly stuttering from the shock of the sudden attack. Naruto looked at the two in confusion as he didn't know what was going on.

Iruka glanced at the boy behind him and was perplexed. "Test? What test? What are you talking about Naruto?"

—-

Couple dozen meters away from them Shikamaru and his group stood, ready to help out their friend and Iruka sensei. "Shikamaru, now that Iruka sensei is here we can go help out. There is no point in hiding here anymore." Ino said in a low voice looking at the friend.

The Nara shook his head side to side. "If we go out there I'm sure we'll be able to capture Mizuki with Iruka sensei's help. But if Mizuki has anyone helping him then we lose the element of surprise. In a straight fight we might be in trouble."

"Why are you so sure Mizuki has someone to help him?" Sakura asked.

"Because it's what I'd do if I was in his shoes. Mizuki has been planning this for a long time. I'm sure of it. He'd be dumb to betray the village and expect to safely leave on his own. The odds of him seeking out someone to help him is high and if anyone has agreed then they'd no doubt be a strong chunin or possibly even Jonin. So we need to be careful."