Chapter 258 - Rookie 9: Graduation Exam 02

Iruka stepped forward and gazed at the faces of all his students and explained the rules of the Taijutsu portion of the exam.

"Listen up. I've ranked all 27 of you according to your performance in the physical tests conducted this last academic year. We've taken a comprehensive assessment of your combat skills, Taijutsu techniques, agility, strength and endurance. Now this rank isn't a permanent one. It's to give each and everyone of you an idea as to where you stand amongst your peers."

Iruka then nodded to his fellow teacher and Mizuki gave each student a paper with the list of the 27 students ranked from first to last. Sasuke was the first on the list and all of the rookie nine were ranked below 15 with Naruto coming in the 14th spot.

The blonde boy smiled as he looked at the number. 'All my training in the woods helped. I'm 14th.' His eyes then drifted to the top of the page and his smile dimmed. 'I need to beat him.'

After everyone got their list Mizuki made his way to the front and Iruka continued. "Based on your ranks we've selected two opponents near your rank for you to battle. Now listen carefully. What I'm about to say next is the evaluation criteria. I won't be repeating it."

Iruka looked around and was satisfied seeing that everyone was paying full attention to him.

"First we will grade you on your speed and strength. To be more accurate the force and agility behind your attacks and movements. Second will be your techniques and precision. The skills you display and the accuracy with which you execute your attack and defend. Next will be strategy and adaptability. We will grade you on how well you adapt to your opponents moves and the strategies you use in battle. The last is stamina and endurance. You need to be able to maintain your energy and focus throughout the match. This is the evaluation criteria. Is everyone clear?"

"Yes Iruka sensei!"

Iruka nodded and motioned for Mizuki to explain the rules. The white haired chunin stepped forward and gave everyone a small smile before he began. "Now, we've selected two classmates for you to face but you might be battling a total of 3 opponents."

Seeing the students' faces marred with confusion Mizuki explained. "You will be selecting your third opponent. But the rules for that match will be explained when all of you have completed your first two matches."

The students nodded while Shikamaru's mind sharpened as he thought about the Taijutsu exam. 'So this test is essentially a two part test. In the first part we have to fight against the two people the teachers have selected and in the second part we have to pick an opponent and fight... Hmm... I doubt Iruka sensei would make the stronger students pick a match with the weaker ones. So there must be a rule against it... Will the 3rd match have the same rules or will there be something more. Eh... If I can score some decent points in the first two matches then I might not have to fight the last match.'

He glanced around as he thought about the particulars of the test and his eyes fell on Naruto who was intently gazing at Sasuke's back. The Uchiha was standing in the front nonchalantly with his hands in his pockets.

Shikamaru saw the gaze Naruto had and quietly sighed. 'Well, I guess I know who he's going to pick.' He turned his attention back to his teacher.

"The rules are as follows. Your match will consist of three rounds. Each round will last for three minutes. Each round will begin with both combatants at the opposite ends of the marked fighting area. Your goal is to land successful hits on your opponents or force them outside the marked area. Hits are counted only when it's clean and precise. Glancing blows or indirect hits are not counted. A knockdown counts as two successful hits. A student who is knocked down thrice in a round will lose the round. Each successful hit and knockdown grants points." Mizuki said.