Chapter 274 - Iruka's Resolve

With Genma.

The Special Jonin was rushing through the rooftops and headed in the direction of the East Canyons. He could hear the sounds of fighting in several areas of the village and he ignored them. He had a job to do and he trusted his fellow ninjas to capture the escapees. As Genma was making his way towards his destination, he suddenly heard the scream of a woman coming from nearby. He jumped and saw three prisoners attacking a pair of old civilians down in an alley..

Genma couldn't ignore their scream for help and he rushed towards the convicts. Several shuriken went flying from his fingers and struck one of the enemy while Genma spit his senbon at the shoulder of the other.

The Leaf ninja appeared in front of the civilians and looked at the three. "Fellas. Just give up and you won't get hurt."

"In your dreams you bastard."

One of the prisoners rushed to attack but the Jonin quickly dodged his attack and knocked him unconscious with two blows. The other two tried to escape but Genma swiftly dealt with them as well.

He turned to the two civilians behind him. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be fine. Please make your way to the shelter."

"Thank you." The pair ran away and Genma was about to leave when he sensed multiple chakras behind him. He turned around and saw several more prisoners appearing. 'This is going to take a while.'

—-

East Canyons

"Now what do we have here?"

Iruka's eyes narrowed as he looked at the ninja up on the tree. 'His voice... Why is it familiar? And why is he looking at me with such hate?'

Zefrek only just glanced at the students but then his eyes were fixed on Iruka. He had a cruel smile as he looked at the academy teacher. "Hello Iruka. It's been a while."

Iruka was on guard but he was confused as he couldn't quickly identify the man.

Naruto looked between the new ninja and his teacher. "Hey Iruka sensei, you know this guy?"

"I'm not sure... Who are you?"

Iruka asked in confusion and Zefrek couldn't help but laugh like he was the only one in on the joke. "Hihihi... You really don't remember me do you? I suppose I can't blame you. I was wearing a mask the last time we met... Maybe this will jog your memory... 'The Double Canary' mission."

Iruka's eyes widened. He concentrated on the man's chakra and in a few seconds figured out exactly who he was. "Zefrek."

"Hahahaha... Yes. In the flesh."

Iruka took a kunai to battle and gestured to the students to get behind him. "You're supposed to be in prison."

Naruto and the others could hear the slight fear in their teacher's voice.

"Yes. But circumstances have changed." Zefrek's eyes went to Mizuki who was steadily getting up and getting his bearings.

Iruka immediately understood how the man was here. "Mizuki! What have you done?"

The traitor Chunin looked at Iruka and sneered. "What I had to do. I needed help so I recruited a few subordinates."

Zefrek's smile dimmed as he heard the word subordinate. Mizuki was high on adrenaline and battle rush and thus wasn't careful with his words.

'A pathetic Chunin like him dares to call me a subordinate.' Zefrek vanished from his spot and kicked Mizuki in the gut, sending him flying. The traitor ninja landed on the ground several meters away. "Since when did I become your subordinate huh? This is my operation now."