Chapter 270 - The Forbidden Scroll Incident 01

Outside the Hokage Tower.

Hinata and Shikamaru were keeping themselves to the shadows and had a close eye on the Hokage tower and its surroundings.

"Na-Naruto's here." Hinata whispered to Shikamaru as she saw Naruto hiding in the large tree near the tower. "What do we do?"

"Let's wait and see how this plays out. If he gets in any trouble with the Hokage we'll go in and explain everything. But if Naruto leaves that tower with the scroll then I have a feeling it'll only be because Lord Hokage let him."

Hinata reluctantly nodded. The two new Genin watched as Naruto patiently waited and then stealthily enter the tower when he got the chance.

"Hinata, is there anyone else keeping an eye on Naruto in the area?"

At Shikamaru's question Hinata looked around and her eyes widened as she saw her academy teacher. "Mi-Mizuki. He just arrived. He saw Naruto go inside."

"Does he have anyone with him?"

The Hyuga girl shook her head side to side indicating no.

'He's alone huh. Does that mean he's doing this all on his own? Does he really have no one helping him?' Shikamaru hadn't taken that possibility off the board yet. "What is he doing?"

"Nothing... It looks like he's just waiting."

The Nara narrowed his eyes. 'He's waiting to see if Naruto can pull it off. If Naruto gets captured then I'm betting Mizuki's gonna make a run for it. He wants to know what's going to happen... I hope the others get here fast. We don't have much time.'

Inside the Tower.

Naruto was quietly making his way to the scroll room written down in the paper Mizuki gave him. Since it was night time there weren't many people in the tower and Naruto reached the room without encountering anyone. He grabbed the handle and found the door unlocked. Entering the room, he looked around and saw several large shelves filled with all kinds of scrolls of different sizes.

'Oh man. How am I supposed to find the Forbidden Scroll in time?'

Naruto sighed and clenched his hands. "Gotta start somewhere."

He began his search and looked through the scrolls nearest to him. 'Hmm... In Mizuki sensei's notes it says the Forbidden Scroll is a large scroll with the word Forbidden written on it. Kinda on the nose if ya ask me.'

Naruto looked around and searched the title of all the large scrolls present in the room. After looking over a few his eyes widened as he saw a large red scroll. He read the title and a grin formed on his face.

"I found it!"

"And what did you find, Naruto?"

"GHAAAA!" Naruto was startled by the sudden question and turned around with a girly scream. He saw the Hokage looking at him with amusement.

Naruto's shoulders slumped and he let out a deep breath of air. "What's the big idea, old man. Sneaking up on me. What are you even doing here?"

The young blonde boy asked in a tone as if he was accusing the Hokage of doing something he shouldn't.

Hiruzen looked at the boy with deadpanned eyes. 'This kid. The gall to ask me that. What are you up to, Naruto?'

"I should be the one asking you that. Why are you here at this time of the night?"

"Err..." Naruto stammered and couldn't quickly come up with an answer to that question.

Hiruzen's eyes went to the shelf behind Naruto and he saw the Forbidden scroll half way out of its storage rack. His eyes narrowed and he turned his attention back to the boy.