Chapter 231 - Interlude: Orochimaru's plans

Hidden Mist Village.

A 3 man team from the Hidden Leaf village was hiding behind a bush and the thick Mist surrounding the area helped them stay unnoticed.

"It seems this is as far as we're going to get in the exams here." Kabuto spoke as he took several deep breaths of air and looked at his teammates.

"You know I'm not complaining. The faster we get out of this wretched village the better. This whole place gives me the creeps." A ninja with his face mostly covered spoke. He wore his forehead protector like a bandanna and had a similar purple attire to that of his teammates.

"Oh come on Misumi. You're not seriously scared of these Mist ninjas are you?" Asked the third member of the team.

"Scared. No. Wary. Yes. Some of these guys are killing anyone that they find. Friend or foe. So I don't want to stick around here any longer than I absolutely have to. And besides, you've already collected enough data on several ninjas here haven't you Kabuto?" The ninja identified as Misumi asked his teammate.

"Yes. You're right. I've collected and stored all the necessary info. Our mission here is completed. Let's get to the safe zone. We no longer need to continue with the exams." Kabuto made the decision and all three made their way to the designated safe zone.

The trio declared their forfeiture to the Mist Jonins and made their way to their Inn. Once they entered the room Kabuto spoke. "You two stay here. I'll be back soon." With those words Kabuto Yakushi vanished in a puff of smoke.

Mist village - Secret location.

"Here is all the information you wanted on the teams participating, Lord Orochimaru." Kabuto handed a small card to his master and took a couple steps back.

Orochimaru chuckled as he looked at his subordinate. "Kukuku... Excellent work Kabuto. I'll be sure to go through this and see if there aren't any promising talents... Tell me, how are you new teammates?"

"Hmm... Yoroi Akado and Misumi Tsurugi. They both have some level of skill but they're average. They're arrogant but don't have much skills to back it up. If anyone takes a look at them all they'll see are two Genin with a bit of an overinflated ego. Nothing else about them stands out. But I suppose that's by design. If you had assigned anyone more capable it might have drawn attention towards myself." Kabuto gave an assessment of his two new teammates.

"When the time comes, they will help you. I'm sure you can put their limited abilities to good use. Kukuku..."

"Of course my Lord." Kabuto slightly bowed and replied.

"I heard that you met with my former partner and did a job for him several months ago. Tell me, what did he want?"

"You heard about that?" Kabuto Yakushi was surprised. He sighed and shook his head. "Of course you did. You have spies all over the land... Yes. It's true. Your former Akatsuki partner Sasori did make contact. There were a few things he wanted from me."

"Oh... He wouldn't have called you unless it was important." Orochimaru was curious as to what his former partner in crime and his organization was planning.

"Sasori called me to the Fire capital. He mainly wanted two things from me. The first was the analysis of your Immortality jutsu."

Orochimaru crossed his arms and leaned on the tree as he listened. "And what did my dear partner want to know?"

"Everything. From the specifics of your jutsu to what the effects would be on the vessels you already used them on. Lord Sasori wanted me to analyze the cells of the vessels you've already used and document the effects the jutsu had on them."