Chapter 260 - Tobirama's Suspicion & Mizuki's Trick

Hokage office.

Hiruzen had his crystal ball in front of him and watched as Naruto correctly performed the clone jutsu and Iruka handing him the Leaf headband. He smiled as he looked at the boy's jubilant face. 'You passed your first hurdle. Now let's hope you and your two teammates can impress your Jonin teacher.'

He let go of the Telescope jutsu and sat back in his chair as his mind went through other matters regarding the village. The kage recalled the conversation he had with his predecessor earlier that day on the Nine tails incident.

Flashback.

"So today is the graduation day huh. The Nine tails Jinchuriki will be taking part in this exam, correct?"

"Yes sensei." Hiruzen nodded.

"Hm... I'll be leaving the village for a day or two. There is something I need to confirm."

"Leaving the village? But why? What would have you take such a huge risk?" The kage was surprised because since the day his sensei was reanimated the man was adamant on staying hidden and helping only from the shadows.

"Something about the whole Nine Tails attack bothers me Hiruzen." Tobirama said as he looked at his student.

"What do you mean sensei?"

"When I first heard of the incident and heard the perpetrator was an Uchiha, I thought that somehow Madara had returned to the living and was behind it. He was the only one known to control the beast. But after thinking it through I'm sure it's not him." Tobirama said.

"Why do you say that?"

"How do I put this... It's not his style. He had strong pride and he wouldn't choose to attack from the shadows like that. If it was really Madara he would have declared it or at the very least would have made sure we knew it was him. He was a powerful individual and even his name sparks fear. He knew that and would have taken advantage of it." Tobirama knew the Uchiha very well. How he thought and how he would act and respond. It was why he was certain that the nine tails incident was not Madara Uchiha's doing.

"There is also the fact that he is dead and has been for several decades. Aside from the reanimation jutsu I don't know any other techniques that can bring an individual to life." Hiruzen said.

Tobirama nodded but Hiruzen still saw a sense of unease on his sensei's face. 'Even the possibility of Madara being alive really terrifies you, doesn't it. It's as if he left a scar on your psyche.'

The second Hokage looked at his student and spoke.

"I wanted to study Madara's body after his death but my brother forbade it. So I made sure to hide his body in a secure location in the mountains in complete secrecy... I've ignored this for so long because someone finding the hidden location in the mountains is close to impossible and breaking through the seals and entering Madara's tomb is even more difficult. And since there hasn't been any incidents or sightings of any Uchiha other than Itachi since the massacre, I figured the Uchiha who orchestrated the attack had died."

Hiruzen was silent as he listened to his teacher.

"I thought it would be a waste of time to go search and check and since we had more pressing matters to deal with, I ignored it. But now with that child graduating..."

"You want to make sure..." Hiruzen nodded as he understood his sensei's feeling. There were many times over the decades when Hiruzen had sent his shinobi to make sure the powerful enemies that were known to be dead were truly dead and gone. "I understand sensei."