Chapter 239 - Possible Motives & A Good Time

Daichi completed his treatment and Jin was slowly regaining consciousness. At that moment he sensed Tsunade examining him and when he was about to speak he heard the older medic ninja giving her assessment. He was even more shocked at how long she expected him to live.

"What did you say?" Jin was so surprised he couldn't help but ask. It was then he felt the changes in his body.

He took in a deep breath of air and held it for a few seconds before letting it out. He clenched his fist and felt the energy coursing through his body. 'It doesn't hurt when I breathe. I don't feel any strain when I move. The aches and pains I've endured for the last half decade... It's all gone.'

He looked shocked and turned his gaze to Tsunade. "What did you do? How? I thought you couldn't help me."

"I didn't. It wasn't me who saved you. It was him." Tsunade replied, pointing at Daichi.

"Yo." Daichi waved his hand at the man.

Jin sat up and looked at the boy in wonder. "You saved me... Thank you."

"You're welcome." The Genin replied with a small smile.

"See Jin. I told you not to give up hope. Thank you Daichi." Kensei had a big smile as he gave his grandson a hug.

"Don't mention it, Gramps. It's nothing... Now before you all go celebrating there are a few things you need to know." Daichi's smile slowly vanished and looked at the two men.

Jin and Kensei looked at the serious expression on the boy's face and quieted down. Tsunade was also keenly observing her student.

Daichi looked at the two men and began. "Now as I'm sure you already know, you were poisoned. This poison is the most complex piece of compound I've ever come across and it was specific to you. Its properties, interactions, mechanisms... They are all so complex and intricate that it took months for sensei to develop a resistance pill that would only slow the poison down. And even with my skills I'm afraid I've only been able to extend your lifespan and not cure you."

"What? But I thought..." Jin began but Daichi interrupted him.

"Please let me explain. You'll understand once you have the full picture."

Jin nodded and stayed silent.

The Genin continued. "Based on my analysis this poison was created from a special genetically engineered plant. Genetic engineering techniques allow scientists to identify, isolate specific genes responsible for the needed trait and transfer those traits between different plant species. The plant used in creating this poison was the result of cross pollination of several different plants and then genetically modifying them. Whoever did this also added an unknown final element to make the poison more deadly. If you hadn't met sensei, you would have died in a few months in a slow agonizing way. This poison was designed that way."

While Tsunade kept a cool face, Jin and Kensei clenched their fists and anger was on their faces when they heard that.

"Now, I was able to identify the plants used in the cross breeding and went about the same way. I created the final gene-edited plant and extracted its enzymes."

Kensei's eyes widened as he began to understand what his grandson did. "Wait. You once said to me that the poison was hiding in his body... Those enzymes from the plant revealed them, didn't they. That was what you injected into him in the beginning."

Daichi nodded. "Yes. Once the poison was revealed, it was easy to remove it and heal most of your internal organs and reverse some of the damages. I used some of my special medicines to boost your strength and immune system. You have another 8 years of relatively healthy life."