Chapter 257 - Rookie 9: Graduation Exam 01

The graduation exam for Naruto and his class has begun. Mizuki sat behind the table in the front while Iruka took several sheets of paper and distributed it among the students. He stood in front of the class and spoke.

"The first part is a written exam. You have 2 hours. You are only allowed to hand in your paper at the end of the exam. So even if you finish early it won't make any difference. Do your best to score as much as you can. Begin."

Most of the students immediately went through the questions on the paper. Shikamaru was one of the few that took their time carefully reading all the questions.

The Nara had a calm face as he sat up and browsed the problems written down on the paper. 'Mom will be mad if I just go about this exam as usual. Guess I need to put some more effort into this. What a drag.'

Nearby Kiba had a grin as he looked at his paper. "Alright Akamaru, wish me luck." "Arf." With encouragement from his partner Kiba began answering the questions.

Sakura quickly looked through all the problems and smiled as she reached the last question. 'These questions are designed to test our knowledge on theory and critical thinking and problem solving. Still this is going to be so easy.'

She was about to start writing when she noticed Naruto sitting right next to her looking pale as he stared at the paper in front of him. She knew he was panicking right now.

Naruto gripped his head with both hands as he looked at the difficult questions. 'Oh man. This is so tough. I really hate this part of the exam. What do I do if I can't answer?'

"Naruto."

As the blonde boy was screaming in his mind he heard his name called in a small soft tone. He turned to the side and saw Sakura giving him a small smile.

"You need to calm down. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths." Sakura said in a small voice as to not attract any attention.

Naruto looked at her smile and he quickly calmed down. He nodded and smiled as he looked at her. "Thanks Sakura."

"You've studied hard for this exam. You can do this. Good luck." Giving her friend a small nod the pink haired girl turned her attention back to the papers in front of her.

Naruto smiled and did as he was told. He closed his eyes and took several slow deep breaths. 'She's right. I got this. Just remember everything I studied. I can do this. I will pass this exam and become a ninja. One day I'm gonna be the Hokage of the village. I can't fail here.'

Opening his eyes Naruto gazed at his exam papers with a renewed determination. He carefully read the questions and began to write down what he knew.

Iruka had been watching the interaction between the two from the corner of his eyes. He inwardly smiled as Naruto confidently began to write the answers.

But it wasn't just Iruka that saw this interaction. Mizuki was also paying attention to Naruto and when he saw Sakura encouraging the boy he became furious. He clenched his fists underneath the table. For a second his face turned furious but he quickly controlled himself. But what Mizuki didn't know is that his split second reaction was caught by Hinata who became even more cautious and wary of the white haired Chunin teacher. She quickly turned her head down and wrote the answers on a paper to avoid any attention from Mizuki.

And so the first part of the Graduation exam had begun.

—-

Two hours had passed and Iruka collected all the paper and handed them to Daikoku Funeno. He was the teacher grading the paper of the graduating students while Iruka and Mizuki continued on with the other tests.