Chapter 288 - Daichi's Fury 01

Daichi held a stoic face as he looked at the grinning prisoner. Seeing Daichi's silence, the man felt happy. "It's not the answer you were expecting, was it?"

"It was the best deal you were ever going to get. So why did you refuse it?" Daichi asked the man.

Mizuki's face sported a furious expression as he heard that question. "An ordinary life? Are you joking... with me? I want... power. This village was holding me back. Now... they're going to pay."

"Is your hatred so big that you can't let go of your grudges and pick the logical choice?"

The restrained Chunin looked at Daichi and his malice was clear to everyone. "I hate this village. But... now... I hate you even more than that. Since I'm already dead... it doesn't matter anymore. I'll die knowing that you'll lose your precious sensei."

Daichi closed his eyes, took a deep breath of air and slowly exhaled. He looked at the man and his face softened. "Mizuki. There is still a chance to change your fate. Give me the information I need and I'll help you."

Outside, Ibiki frowned and shook his head. "It's not going to work. Mizuki won't change his mind. This was a mistake." He turned to the Hokage and spoke. "Lord Hokage. Let me and Inoichi take over. We need to get past his barriers and retrieve as much information as quickly as possible."

Hiruzen was silent as he looked through the glass mirror. "Just give him a couple more minutes... If his efforts seem fruitless then you can take over."

Inside the room, even though he was dying, Mizuki felt glee at that moment. Watching the Genin who ruined his plans, now pleading for his help made the Chunin happy.

"Look at you. Begging here in front of me. No matter what you say, I won't tell you anything. I want you to suffer. Orochimaru is going to kill Tsunade. I'm certain. That will be my revenge on you."

Daichi looked at the mad grin on the weakened Mizuki's face and sighed. "It seems I found the answer to my question." He spoke to himself but everyone heard his words.

Mizuki frowned as he looked at the boy. "What are you talking about? I didn't tell you anything."

Daichi ignored Mizuki, looked around the room and then nodded to himself. "This room will do just fine."

Nobody knew what Daichi had planned and they were curious. The Genin turned his attention back to Mizuki and after a few moments of silence he began to speak.

"When I was training with Tsunade sensei, she made me promise something... She made me promise to never let the shinobi life consume me. That I should never lose to this world and compromise who I am. Compromise my ideals. She saw my talent and potential and saw how much good I could do. But she also saw the misery and horror I could bring to the world if I used my skills the wrong way."

Hiruzen closed his eyes when he heard that. The similarities between Daichi and Orochimaru were many. But at the same time, the two couldn't be more different in who they are and the old kage knew that.

Daichi's tone took a cold edge as he looked at the tied up man. "I promised her that this life wouldn't change me. That I wouldn't become a monster."

Hiruzen, Ibiki and Inoichi had a bad feeling in their guts as they heard Daichi talk.

Mizuki looked at the boy in confusion and then sneered. "If you think you can scare me...then you're mistaken. No matter what you do... No matter what you say... I won't tell you anything."

Daichi chuckled and his tone sent danger signals to everyone. Even Mizuki looked at the boy cautiously.

Daichi looked at Mizuki with a small smile that sent shivers up the man's spine. "You know it's funny.. .The person I interrogated a few months ago said something similar. You see during that interrogation he was stubborn too. I gave that man a choice and I got the information needed. But you know, that wasn't personal. I was just doing what I had to, to complete the mission. So at that time a question arose in front of me. To save the someone I care about, would I go to any length? Would I break my promise to my teacher and compromise on my ideals?"