Chapter 218 - Battle on the High Seas 02

Another long chapter. Enjoy.

—--------------------

Unknown location.

On the coast of an uninhabited island about 110 miles away from the Land of Sea was a large ship made of wood and metal. It was long with metal coatings on each side for protection and taller than most buildings in the world. The two main features of the ship were its flag that had a Red skull with spiky helmet and sword and the large long cannon attached on the front of the ship. The whole ship looked fearsome and would strike terror to any ordinary sailor coming across it. The flagship of the Gladiator Pirates - The Dark Amphibian.

There were half a dozen men scattered on the deck keeping an eye out during that night. On the bridge of the ship, a young navigator was half asleep as he sat at the control desk. As he was about to fall asleep his eyes caught a glimpse of three of the 4 yellow buttons that stopped blinking.

'What the?' It roused him from his sleep. He tapped the three small dead yellow bulbs and was confused. 'Did something go wrong or is it malfunctioning again... I better go call him.'

The man stood from his chair and made his way to the private quarters. He knocked on a certain door and after a few moments it opened. A middle aged man with long grey hair and a tattoo of a crow under the right eye appeared.

"What?" Came the question in an annoyed tone.

"I'm sorry for distributing you at this late hour sir, but there is something wrong with the transponders."

The man sighed hearing this and made his way to the bridge followed by the other. He checked the transponders and saw that three of them were not responsive and only one was active.

"Maki? I thought you were sleeping?" A voice came from outside.

The middle aged man now identified as Maki turned to the door. "Oh, it's you, Mazui."

"Captain!" The other young man stood in attention as the captain of the ship came.

The new arrival was a dark skinned man with a lean muscular body. He was wearing a dark blue shirt with black pants. He had the tattoo of speed on his right shoulder. Mazui - The rogue Jonin from the Hidden Cloud village. One of the two ninjas with the nickname lightning twins and captain of the newly formed Gladiator Pirates.

"What's going on?" Mazui asked as he came near them.

"3 of the transponders are unresponsive." Maki said as he looked at the unblinking lights. "But it could be some kind of mechanical error. This is new technology after all. Long range communication technology is rare and this is still in the early stages. So it could be some form of a glitch."

Mazui looked at the device and his eyes slightly narrowed. "When did they stop responding?" He asked the navigator.

The man nervously answered. "Um, They stopped sending signals one after another starting a few hours ago. Since it happened a few times before I didn't think much of it."

"Yes. But for 3 to become unresponsive in the span of several hours. That's very strange." Maki said.

"Oi. What are you all doing here in the middle of the night?"

Mazui turned to look at his brother. "Bozui. I thought you were sleeping."

"Nay. Couldn't sleep. So I was just walking around. So what's going on?" Bozui replied. He had almost identical facial features to his brother but his body was much bulkier and had bigger muscles than his brother. He had the tattoo 'power' on his left shoulder.