Bucky Barnes

A/N Who me? Couldn't be... I'm still alive! I know all of you are waiting pretty desperately for the next Scarlett chapter and don't worry... I'll explain what's going on at the end of this one! Until then... Enjoy a Steve POV with his good ole' "pal" Bucky. 

Steve POV

Once Sam and I arrived at Burachest it was fairly easy to track down Bucky. All it took was Sam flying over the bustling city to find the people matching his description. Sometimes I really do love all of this modern technology, it certainly makes my life a hell of a lot easier. Getting here was actually the harder part. Even using Y/N's money neither of us could simply leave the country without being traced. Y/N had just jokingly taken away my title of "golden boy" for stealing her money, but honestly, I was in a hell of a lot more trouble than simple theft. I was currently fleeing the place I had known and sworn to protect for as long as I lived. And, I was possibly dragging Sam down with me.

I shielded my eyes and looked to the top of one of the tall apartment buildings. Lines of scaffolding surrounded it as the top few stories were still being added. I could faintly make out the outline of Sam crouched upon one of the beams. I swore he was bouncing his arms up and down like he was pretending to flap his wings. I couldn't help but smile. How I found such an amazing friend through all of this I'll never know.

I took my eyes away from him and headed toward the entrance of Bucky's building. The door was unlocked, an interesting choice for someone so good at hiding. I walked in and looked at the old decorations. The wallpaper was peeling and the cabinets looked like they were torn right out of my childhood home. The room was cluttered and newspapers were taped over the windows. For a moment I wondered if I even had the right room, perhaps the numbers were wrong and I was inside some poor civilian's apartment.

There was a mattress laying on the floor with a sleeping bag on top of it. If this has been where Bucky has been staying I can't help but feel a sense of guilt. It was finally my turn to protect him and I failed where he had succeeded. Bucky has saved me more times than I can count.

I take a notebook off the top of the fridge and open it to an old pamphlet of me taped onto a page. There were scribbles of words that didn't make much sense next to it and for the first time since I found out Bucky was alive, I doubted his sanity.

"Heads up, Cap." Sam came on over the radio. "German Special Forces, approaching from the south."

The room was so silent Sam's voice bounced off the walls even while being concealed by my helmet. I shut the book and the sound of the pages hitting each other echoed around me. "Understood."

The hairs on the back of my neck straightened and I noticed breathing that wasn't my own. I turned slowly only to see my old friend. Dressed warmly in a hoodie and jacket. He had an old worn baseball cap on as well. His outfit looked very similar to the man that was shown blowing up the building I was standing outside of hours before now.

I studied him for a while longer before asking, "Do you know me?"

He nodded and parted his chapped lips, "You're Steve. I read about you in a museum."

"They've set the perimeter." Sam chimes in but I barely hear his words.

I take a slow step toward Bucky while putting his notebook onto the counter, "I know you're nervous and you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying."

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore." He defends, unmoving.

"They're entering the building." Sam says and I glance toward the door.

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive." I warn getting closer to him still.

Bucky smiles slightly, "That's smart. Good strategy."