Witness

Natasha POV 

I was annoyed before I had even got to the gym. The gym only made me more upset. Fury had delivered the news of my mission, and it was exactly what I had thought. Luckily it was short and not too dangerous. I had asked Fury a while ago to help me look into my parents. I suppose he was finally following up on his promise. I was on the hunt for Y/N as I left Fury's office, I really just needed to be back with her. I had gotten so used  to being by her side non-stop that this sudden separation was kind of driving me crazy.

I assumed she would have gone to the gym to look for the others so that is where I decided to go. As I got closer I was confused about the music that I could hear. That didn't sound like music someone would normally listen to while working out. It was slow, like something out of a classical film. 

I pushed the door open but froze when my eyes landed on the scene in front of me. Steve's hand is on her back and her arm is around his neck while their free hands are clasped to the side. He leads her around in circles across the center of the floor and I can't help but watch.

"Less work for me." Y/N says and I wonder what they had been talking about. They spin in my direction so I shut the door far enough that neither of them could see me. I couldn't fully leave, no, I was far to entranced by what was happening in front of me. 

"A lot less work." Steve answers and watch her wrap both of her arms around his neck as he pulls her closer. For a moment I swore they were about to kiss before the song slows down and he lowers her into a dip. 

My hand on the door tightens and I almost storm into the room but Y/N speaks again, "Steve?" 

"Yes?" He responds as he pulls her back onto her feet before letting go. 

"Thank you." She beams at him and his hand raises to rub at the back of his neck. 

"For what?" He asks. 

"For such a kind welcome home. And of course, not making me miss Italy too much." Her words make him laugh but I only become angrier. Did she not enjoy Italy? Did she want to come home sooner? Why didn't she tell me any of this? 

"I'll tell everyone that all they have to do to keep you around is dance with you." Steve says before taking a sip of water. 

"Only if they dance as well as you." She teases and I clench my jaw, grinding my teeth.

"I'm sure others here can dance." He answers. 

"You're not wrong. Natasha has some impressive moves." Her face falls into a content smile and I relax a little at the mention of me. But then she reaches out her hand for him to take, which he easily does. "Lead me to the twins! We have some reconnecting to do." 

"As you wish." He takes the lead and starts walking to the door so I quickly walk away and duck into the neighboring office as they walk out still holding hands. 

What the hell was that. I press my forehead against the cool wall as I try to calm down my racing emotions. I'm just reading too far into the conversation. Y/N wouldn't do that to me. I know she wouldn't. But would Steve? I have always had the feeling that he probably had stronger feelings for her but I didn't know if he would act upon them or not. I had missed the start of their interaction so there is probably a lot of context that I'm missing. But what if? I couldn't stop my mind from racing to the worst possible outcome of all of this. An outcome I didn't even want to voice into reality. 

I made my way into an empty lounge that had some computers set up around the outside. I just needed to distract myself for a bit. I opened up some work that had been emailed to me and fell into a long and boring cycle of writing and filling out forms. The mindless work let me think a bit more on what was going on though I was still having trouble depicting what I was feeling.