Birthday Party

Y/N POV 

Tony's party was tonight and I still had no clue what to get him. The first issue was, what do you get the man who has everything? He's rich and doesn't want or need for anything. Plus there's the little concern of him dying. What do you get the dying man? I was still having trouble understanding that he was dying. In all my free time when I should have been sleeping or eating I was trying to figure out a solution to his problem. But just like Tony said there was nothing I could do. 

The hours were ticking by so I settled with giving him some of the upgrades I had recently installed to Rover. Maybe he could use them for J.A.R.V.I.S or just use them for tech. There was something else that I wanted to give him so I walked upstairs to search through my cabinets and shelves. 

After a bit of searching (because I had forgotten where I had placed it) I finally located the small bit of leather. It was an on going joke between him and I that really didn't make much sense. When we were in college he had asked what I wanted for my birthday and I didn't want him to give me anything. So he pulled out a pocket knife and cut a bit of the leather chair I was sitting in. He proceeded to have it wrapped in the fanciest paper and bows and gave it to me three days later like it was a diamond. He had also gotten me other things but since then this piece of leather was passed back and forth on every birthday. I placed it in a box and hid it under many layers of tissue paper before placing the upgrades on top. The box was topped off with a gold sparkly bow and then a little smiley face drawn on with a sharpie. It wasn't much but I wasn't creative. 

I hadn't spoken to Tony since the night in his lab so I was slightly worried about how he might react to me showing up. It wasn't the first fight we had so I was pretty confident in the ways this night would end. Either he would be drunk and hate my guts, be drunk and be flirty, or be sober and we have a nice evening. The man really had to lay off the booze. 

But now that the present was dealt with I had to come up with an outfit. I was torn between a few different options and part of me just wanted to throw on some casual jeans and t-shirt since I didn't like getting fancy anyway. Though I would rather fit in then be really out of place. I decided to go with a dark navy shirt with a black blazer and pants. I left my necklace on and the ring Natalie had given me. The makeup was light and natural. Not as fancy as my party but nice enough for this event. I didn't wanna look like the half dressed women I'm sure were gonna be all over the place. Unlike them I didn't have to fight for Tony's attention which is a great thing. He could really use a polish up in the personality department recently that's for sure. 

I didn't want to arrive early just in case the situation was going to turn awkward so I drove around town for awhile. I knew that Natalie was most likely going to be there so maybe I should get something for her in return for the ring. I still didn't know how to feel about her but I didn't feel like owing her anything. I pulled into a jewelry store and looked around. I wasn't the biggest fan of jewelry but the pieces were fun to look at. My eyes landed on a snake ring that had large emerald eyes. The eyes reminded me of her eyes so I bought it. Unlike her creepy ways of knowing my ring size I had no idea what to do. I guessed they were close to mine and hoped it fit. 

"It's a beautiful piece." The man behind the counter said to me as he was putting it in a box. 

"The eyes caught my attention." He nodded in agreement and looked at it a bit longer before shutting the lid and handing it to me. 

"It is a heavy price though, $5,000 plus tax." Money wasn't really an issue to me but that still seemed high for a ring. 

"Here's my card." I handed him my card and he swiped it before returning it to me. 

"Have a lovely day!" He shouted as I left the store. The little bell chimed as I left. I pulled out my notebook and wrote a quick note to go with the ring. After that it was finally time to head to Tony's.