Death of a Friend

Y/N POV

When I arrived at the hospital I was the second one there. Maria was standing outside a large glass pane that looked into Fury's operating room. She watched me as I approached and I had a flashback to Coulson again. This can't happen two times. Fury has to make it. 

We don't say anything as I stand by her side and watch what's going on. I want to ask her about Nat but it seems like that might not come off well. Instead, I wait for another pair of footsteps, but it's only Steve. He looks upset when he comes to stand by my side. His hand moves to rest on my shoulder and I look up at him to see him giving me a weak smile. 

"Did you get him?" I asked, but I already knew the answer. 

"No." He shook his head as he looked at Maria. "I was too slow." 

"It's not your fault, Steve," I assure him and he shrugs, not giving me an answer. 

He lets go of my shoulder and leans against the wall, watching Fury closely. His hand dips into his pocket, probably holding onto the flash drive. What could be so worth dying over? 

Suddenly the door flies open and I feel a huge weight leave my shoulders. It's Nat. And she looks ok. Well physically. She doesn't look the happiest as she runs into the room. She sighs when she sees me and she pulls me into a tight hug. "I keep thinking that I've lost you." She murmurs against my ear. 

"I thought the same about you," I answer and she tightens her grip. 

We both pull away and she walks over to the glass, "Is he gonna make it?" 

"We don't know." Steve answers and I shut my eyes at the reminder he might die. 

"Tell me about the shooter," Nat says and she tears her eyes away from the window to look at Steve. 

"He's fast. Strong." He shifts a bit and glances at me, "Had a metal arm." 

"Ballistics?" Nat asks as Maria moves closer to us. 

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Maria answers. 

"Soviet-made," Natasha mutters and I look down at her. 

"Yeah." Maria agrees. Nat knows something. Something she's not sharing. 

But I completely forget about that when movement behind the glass starts to quicken. The voices of the doctors rise but I can't hear them through the ringing in my ears. Natasha grabs onto my arm and I rest a hand over hers. "Don't do this to me, Nick." I hear her say under her breath as she watches the hurried movement. I shut my eyes and bow my head, it's over. There's no pulse left in him. "Don't do this to me. Please don't do this to me." Natasha keeps saying over and over. 

I open my eyes enough to confirm what I already knew. The doctors were moving away from his body. Maria was fighting back tears. Steve had turned away and faced the door. My arm was going numb from the squeeze that Nat had on it. 

Maria bumped my shoulder as she also turned but she headed to actually leave. "Come here," I say quietly as I turn and bring Nat against my chest. Her grip on my arm didn't loosen but she wrapped her free arm around my back. "I'm sorry," I whisper and she doesn't say anything as she takes in deep breaths. 

We remain standing like that until a doctor comes out to talk to Steve. I press soft kisses against the top of Nat's head, wanting to calm her down. But in all honesty, I don't know if I'm making it better, I might be making it worse. 

Steve clears his throat and I look up at him. "We can go in." He says, his voice soft as he heads towards the door. Nat lets go of me as she heads into the room. Her pace is quick as she walks over to the side of Fury's bed.