Sacrifice

Y/N POV 

"I can't believe we just did that," I mutter as our group runs out of the national history museum. 

"It technically belongs to me," Steve says as he stretches in the suit that we just stole. I mean sure, he owned it at one point but we just robbed the national history museum. Like really? 

"Well, I guess I can say I robbed a museum," I add as I break away from the main group. "I'll see you guys on the inside!" 

"Don't get killed," Steve says and I turn to look at him.

"That goes both ways." I wave as we break apart. This plan was kind of madness. I was now headed for the front entrance as Steve, Sam, and Maria was heading in through the side. Natasha had stayed behind because of her shoulder though she was not happy about that. 

I got into the building and I saw Pierce meeting up with the rest of the Council. Time to put on a good acting face. But before I got close enough I muttered a simple order, "Rover. Get to the command station. Don't let them launch, do whatever you have to do." 

"Understood." I hear his voice through a small earpiece I'm wearing. I trusted Steve to get the job done but I didn't trust the amount of HYDRA people that could somehow mess everything up. 

"How was your flight?" Pierce is saying to the woman, Hawley. 

"Lovely. The ride from the airport, less so." She complains and I join the group as we all follow Pierce. 

"I'm sorry to hear that." I jump in and she glances at me. "Sorry, I'm late." 

"You're right on time, Director," Pierce says and I look over at him. "I was just going to mention how SHIELD can't control everything." He smirks at me and I bite my cheek. 

"That includes Captain America," Rockwell says and I sigh. Pierce is going to blame everything on me, I know it. 

"Captain America is not our biggest threat right now. I thought I explained that." I say and Rockwell shrugs, dropping the matter. 

"This facility is biometrically controlled. And these will give you unrestricted access." Pierce draws our attention back to him as he hands out little metal badges. 

He offers one to me and I shake my head, "I already have unrestricted access." 

"Not to where we are going." He places it in my hand. 

"Why aren't you wearing one?" I ask but I speak quietly enough he's the only one who can hear me. 

"I'm going to." He picks up another one and clips it on so I copy him and put it on.

Pierce leads us to the top of the building where we can watch where the ships will launch from. There's also a large screen that he quickly draws our attention to before he starts one of his annoying speeches. 

"I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth, and some of you would have gladly kicked me out of the car along the way." Pierce starts as he picks up a flash of wine. He hands others out to all of us and I accept one but don't drink. "Finally, we're here. And the world should be grateful." 

"Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers." Steve's voice comes over the intercom. I cheer on the inside, he made it this far, we can do this. "You've heard a lot about me over the past few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader." All eyes in the room fly to Pierce as he slowly walks closer to us. "The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."