Captured

Natasha POV 

When the jet landed Clint glanced over at me, hoping to get some kind of response. Since I sat down next to him I had spoken. My eyes were trained on the ground in front of us. The terrain that meant we were getting further and further away from Y/N. I expected a lot of things to happen when we got back to the tower. I expected us to have a lot of work to do with the Cradle. What I didn't expect was Tony. I should have been ready for him, but I wasn't. When the door to the back of the jet dropped open and Clint pushed the Cradle out he accidentally kicked the mask of the armor and it rolled outside and down the ramp. 

"Uh-oh. What happened to you?" Tony asks and I see him bend over to pick it up. "Y/N! You're paying for anything you did to this!" 

"Tony..." Clint says and Tony looks over at him as he holds the headpiece under his arm. 

"Yeah?" He asks as I walk out and stare at the floor. 

"We weren't able to reach you from the jet." Clint starts and I walk over next to him. He looks at me and I look up at him. 

"She's gone. I lost her, Tony." I say as I walk past. He spins on his heel to watch me head through the doors before I hear his footsteps following me. 

"Clint! Bring that thing to the lab." He shouts over his shoulder. "What the fuck do you mean you lost her?" 

"I mean! She's gone! Ultron has her!" I shout back and I hear the door slam behind us. 

"This is exactly why I wanted her with me! You think she can do the stuff we do?" He says and I spin to face him. 

"I think she can do the things we do better than we can!" I answer and he crosses his arms as he stares at me. 

"Oh really? And this is proof of that?" He asks. 

"We wouldn't have that damn Cradle if it wasn't for her," I say and he rolls his eyes. 

"Well, perhaps I'd rather have her over the Cradle. I think you'd agree." He says and I study him for a few seconds. 

"Of course, I agree! Do you really think I care more about a stupid piece of metal? That woman is my life, Tony!" I shout and I hear people start to come into the room behind me. "She's the only thing that makes me want to keep going. The reason I'm still trying to be a better person. So don't you dare come in here and tell me I don't care." 

"What's going on?" Bruce asks as he comes into the room. 

"She let Y/N get kidnapped," Tony says as he pushes past me and toward the lab. 

"She didn't let it happen, Tony." Clint comes to my defense and the others just stare at him. "I was there. Nothing could have stopped it. She was there one second and the next she was gone." 

"Why wasn't she using the suit?" Tony asks as he looks down at the helmet. I glance over at Clint and he shrugs. 

"I'm not sure." He answers and looks at me. 

"She gave it to me," I whisper and Tony looks up at me. 

"Of course she did. That woman is too selfless to think about herself for a goddamn minute." Tony says as he opens the door to the lab. "I'm sorry, Natasha. This isn't your fault." 

"You were right, Tony. I could have done something." I saw and he shakes his head. He doesn't say anything though, instead, he just leaves the room to go study the Cradle. 

"This wasn't your fault, Nat." Clint tries and I shake his hands off of me as I follow them into the lab. I slump into a chair in the corner and he drags another chair over to sit next to me.