Intervention

Natasha POV

Y/N and I didn't get much of our testosterone free time like we had wanted. Because, as we settled down in our room it clicked to me what Steve had rushed out for. The jealousy I felt towards him was still faintly there, even though I would never admit that to her. I know she already knows but at least it won't be one hundred percent confirmed in her mind until I say it myself. Though, my jealousy would not keep this from her.

"I feel bad for him." Y/N whispered and I glanced over at her as we walked the streets. "I mean Tony throws all this shit in his face about how the sole purpose in his life is wrong, and now Peggy?"

I nod in agreement and lead us into a large white church. I had tracked Steve's phone, I wasn't quite sure where this service was going to be taking place. Luckily he hadn't quite grasped the fact that he should probably turn off all technology if he didn't want to be found. "Seaking of Tony, where do you stand?"

Y/N laughs a little and looks at me from the corner of her eye, "You'll never hear me agree with him again. I'm not going to be over that little stunt he pulled for a while."

"Are you mad that I agree?" I ask and she purses her lips.

"Not really. I mean it fits with your ideals and I'm never going to ask you to change those." She explains and I nod in response.

We stop talking as we enter the back of the church. Sharon Carter was just walking up to the podium as Y/N and I took our seats in a back row. Steve was seated in the front with Sam by his side, both dressed in sharp suits.

Sharon took a shaky breath before starting her speech, "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD... but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time where no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right."

I leaned to the side to whisper into Y/N's ear, "Steve is going to take that to heart."

"It's a good message." She whispered back and her breath hit the side of my neck.

"Even if the whole world is telling you to move... It is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, you move.'" Her speech went on for a while but that section hung in the air like a suffocating cloud. It's like she somehow knew everything that was going on with the Avengers right now, even though I knew that was impossible.

We left the church with everybody else, but when Steve did not emerge out the doors we headed back inside. Y/N insisted that we don't leave him alone to question everything for too long. I had to agree, because if we did everything would probably end a lot worse than it was now. We walked down the aisle and I couldn't help but picture our wedding day. Now I wouldn't necessarily want a church wedding, I'd do anything Y/N wanted.

Steve was leaning up against one of the benches with his hands buried deep in his pockets. He looked up and made eye contact with both of us before returning his eyes to the carpeted floor, "When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back, too." Y/N said, stepping closer and reaching out to place a hand against his arm.

Steve shook his head before asking, "Who else signed?"

I took a deep breath before answering his question, "Tony, Rhodey, Vision."

"Clint?" Steve asked.

"Says he's retired." I answer as I watch Y/N still try to offer some form of silent support.