Something to Fight For

Steve POV 

I finally made it the door that would get me outside. It had been a lot of pushing and shoving as everyone else was running the other way. As I forced the door open I tried to get the image of Y/N throwing herself over that ledge to catch Natasha. I hoped they were all alright. Especially Y/N, seeing as I was pretty much an awful person in there a few minutes ago. I forced the door open and shouted, "Stark! Stark, I'm here!" 

"Good." He came flying down to my level and hovered in front of some controls. "Let's see what we've got." 

"What do you see?" I shouted over to him. 

He started muttering to himself instead of answering, "Damn it. Damn it. Damn it!" 

"Stark?" I questioned but he just smacked his hand against a plate of metal. 

"Get Y/N on the line." He shouted over to me and I tried to patch through to her. 

As she joined I heard her say, "Smart. Don't die!" 

"Y/N!" Stark shouted.

"What is it?" She sounded out of breath and every once and awhile a sharp whistle of pain.

"I don't know how to do this." Tony muttered under his breath. I couldn't help but smile at the words. 

"Do what?" Y/N asked. 

"What's the first step in restarting a turbine?" Stark asked, like it was any other day. 

"How the hell am I supposed to know that? Tony I have glass shards in my legs and I'm sprinting down the hall TOWARDS a god. A god that very much hates me because I made fun of his hair." She sounded tired and I heard her opening doors and her footsteps against the metal ground. 

"Try! If I don't fix this we all die." Stark shouted at her. 

"Fine! Uhhh... you have to get the superconducting coolant system back online before accessing the rotors. Once you can get in there I'm guessing there is debris, so you can remove that. But you'll need someone on the control panel, I can't get there." She was talking quickly and I heard a gunshot go off. 

"You ok?" I asked her. 

"Yup. It's all good." She replied. 

"I can go on the panel." I started climbing towards it and Stark waited for me. 

"Tony... just get out of there as soon as you move the debris. It's going to start spinning the second it can." She warned and Stark nodded. "Good luck! And you're welcome!" She hung up from the call and we looked at each other. 

"Tell me which relays are in overload position." Tony told me. I had to jump across an open gap to get to the panel but managed to do it. "What does it look like in there?" 

"It seems to run on some form of electricity." I replied with a sigh. I knew nothing about this stuff. 

"Well, you're not wrong." Stark replied. "Just hit whichever ones are glowing orange. And pray they go back to looking gray. You got that?" 

"Yes... hit the orange ones." I scanned the panel and slammed my fist on top of any of the cartridges that were glowing. "Okay, the relays are intact. I think... What's our next move?" 

"I'm going in there to push. Y/N was wrong about them starting up by themselves." Stark said. That didn't sound good.

"If that thing gets up to speed, you'll get shredded." I shouted over to him. Even if was annoying I didn't want him dead. 

"That stator control unit can reverse the polarity long enough to disengage maglev and that could-"

"SPEAK ENGLISH!" I shouted over him as all of his words were flying over my head.