Chapter 185-Looking For Any Information

After we got the car back, we heard of another strange death, so we made our way over to the scene. When we arrived at the scene, we saw Bela acting like she was a reporter. It seemed that every victim was dying from drowning, even though the latest victim wasn't even near water when he drowned. The other thing was that the victims saw a clipper ship shortly before they drowned. The only problem was that the victim's brother said that he had seen the ship too. After the boys filled me in on what they found out, I stood with them by the back of the Impala as they loaded some weapons.

"I see you got your car back." Bela said as she walked up a few minutes later "you really want to come near me when I got a loaded gun in my hands?" Dean asked, not turning to face her "now, now. Mind your blood pressure. Why are you even still here? You have enough to ID the boat." Bela said "that guy back there saw the ship." Sam said as he closed the trunk "yeah? And?" Bela asked "and, he's going to die, so we have to save him." Sam said "how sweet." Bela smiled.

"You think this is funny?" Dean asked "he's cannon fodder. He can't be saved in time, and you know it." Bela said "yeah, well, see, we have souls, so...we're gonna try." Dean said as we went to our car doors "yeah, well, I'm actually going to find the ship and put an end to this. But you have fun." Bela said "hey, Bela, how'd you get like this, huh? What, did daddy not give you enough hugs or something?" Dean asked her "I don't know. Your daddy give you enough? Don't you dare look down your nose at me. You're not better than I am." Bela said.

"We help people." Dean said "come on. You do this out of vengeance and obsession. You're a stone's throw from being a serial killer. Whereas I, on the other hand, I get paid to do a job, and do it. So, you tell me...which is healthier?" Bela scoffed "Bela, why don't you just leave? We've got work to do." Sam said "yeah. You're zero for two. Bang-up job so far." Bela said as she walked away. Later, once night fell, we went to Peter Warren's house, the previous victim's brother. We wanted to watch over him to make sure he would be okay.

"Anything good?" Dean asked Sam, who had been researching as Sam shook his head "no, not really. I mean, both brothers are Duke University grads. No criminal record. I mean, a few speeding tickets. They inherited their father's real estate fortune six years ago." Sam said "how much?" Dean asked "112 million." Sam smirked "nice life." Dean replied as Sam shook his head "yeah. I mean, nice, clean, aboveboard. So why did they see the ship? Why Sheila, too? What do they all have in common?" Sam asked "maybe nothing." Dean shrugged "no. There's always something." Sam said "hey, you!" A man shouted as I looked over to see Peter approaching the gate of his house.

As I ducked down below the window, hoping he hadn't seen me too "I think we've been made." Dean said as Sam and Dean got out of the car "what are you guys doing?! You watching me?" Peter asked angrily "sir, calm down. Please." Sam said "you guys aren't cops! Not dressed like that. Not....not in that crappy car." Peter yelled as I carefully peered over the windowsill to watch the interaction "whoa, hey. No need to get nasty." Dean said "we are cops, okay? We're undercover. We're here because we think you're in danger." Sam said "from who?!" Peter yelled "if you just settle down, we'll talk about it." Sam said calmly "look, you guys, just stay away from me!" Peter yelled as he ran to his car.

"Wait!" Sam yelled as he and Dean ran to the gate "hey, you moron! We're trying to help you!" Dean shouted as Peter started to drive, his car suddenly stalled and then died. Dean ran back to the car and opened the trunk as I leaned out of the window "what's going on?" I asked him "I don't know, stay in the car." Dean said after shutting the trunk and then running off with a shotgun. A few minutes later "Sam!" Dean shouted as the shotgun went off. That was the last thing I heard before Sam and Dean made their way back to the Impala.

They informed me that Peter didn't make it, and we started driving shortly after. He had drowned like the other victims, but this time they both saw a spirit who looked like a soaking wet pirate. I wasn't sure how long we had been driving because the only sound during the ride had been the radio "when what started out as a mild light sprinkling has now turned into a severe weather front headed in from the Northwest. Expect heavy lightning and thunder, with sudden rainfall..." The radio said as Dean clicked it off "do you wanna say it, or should I?" Dean asked.

"What?" Sam asked "you can't save everybody, Sam." Dean sighed "yeah, right, s....so what, you feel better now or what?" Sam asked "no, not really." Dean said "me neither." Sam said "you gotta understand-." Dean said as Sam cut him off "it's just. Lately, I feel like I can't save anybody." Sam said.

A few hours later Sam found a huge, beautiful house for us to squat in. The owners apparently left town for weeks frequently to escape to their other, larger house on a beach. We went to sleep for the night and then got up early to research. While we were quietly working, there was a knock on the front door. We looked at each other, concerned. Then Dean got up and walked over to the door slowly while Sam got a gun ready if necessary. Dean flipped open the peephole and peered out. He then looked at us and rolled his eyes. Sam and I looked at each other and furrowed our brows, but we could tell by the look on Dean's face it was most likely Bela. Dean sighed and opened the door, shutting it after her as she entered.

"Dear...god." She said as she looked around while Sam sighed and rolled his eyes "are you actually squatting? Charming. So, how'd things go last night with Peter?" She asked as the three of us didn't say anything "that well, huh?" Bela smirked "if you say, 'I told you so,' I swear to god I'll start swinging." Dean said "look, I think the four of us should have a heart-to-heart." Bela said "that's assuming that you have a heart." Dean said and then rejoined Sam and me at the table.

"Dean, please...I'm sorry about what I said before, okay? I come bearing gifts." She smiled "such as?" Sam asked her "I've ID'd the ship." Bela said as she held up a file as Sam and Dean gave each other a quick look and shrugged as Bela walked over and set a file down on the table "it's the Espírito Santo, a merchant sailing vessel, quite a colorful history. In 1859, a sailor was accused of treason. He was tried aboard ship in a kangaroo court and hanged. He was thirty-seven." Bela said "which would explain the thirty-seven-year cycle." Sam said "aren't you a sharp tack? There's a photo of him somewhere...here." She said as she handed a picture of a man on the boat to Dean.

"Isn't that the customer we saw last night?" Dean asked Sam "you saw him?" Bela asked "yeah, that's him, except he was missing a hand." Dean said "his right hand?" Bela asked "how'd you know?" Sam questioned "the sailor's body was cremated, but not before they cut off his hand to make a hand of glory." Bela explained "a hand of glory? I think I got one of those at the end of my Thai massage last week." Dean said as he laughed weakly "gross." | said as I rolled my eyes "Dean, the right hand of a hanged man is a serious occult object. It's very powerful." Sam said.

"So, they say." Bela said "and officially counts as remains." Dean said "but still, none of this explains why the ghost is choosing these victims." Sam shrugged "I tell you why. Who cares? Find the hand, burn it, and stop the bloody thing." Bela said "I don't get it. Why are you telling us all of this?" Dean asked her "because I know exactly where the hand is." Bela smiled "where?" Dean asked "at the Sea Pines Museum. It's a macabre bit of maritime history. But I need help." Bela said "what kind of help?" Sam asked as she smiled deviously.